Out of my depth here! HELP

This pretty young lady works at the iHOP where I eat breakfast most days. I made 2 mistakes, one before taking her photo and one after - This is the first: I neglected to advise her to use a matte make up; and this is the second: I presumed i could find some method in YouTube threads about Capture One Pro to obliterate the shiney patches on her face using the latest version (14.2).

I failed, badly, on 2 counts.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial where I can learn this valuable piece of processing magic using Capture One ONLY.

If you want to try out your Capture One skills, just download image, It is JPEG, 8 bit, SRGB,120 pix/inch, about 2.3 MB, but no other C1 processing other than demosiacing in C1 and whatever C1 software does before displaying on screen the very first time.

TIA,
Nick

Katia-5427-IHOP 1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
The Capture One heal brush will remedy the shine. Set to a very low flow (5-10 flow), very soft brush (0 hard), size smaller than the shine area, opacity 100 since flow is really low. Use the ALT/OPT key plus left-click to select a source area, then slowly build up by painting in on the target area. This low flow heal brush will blend in the "matte" source area with the shine area. The low flow will let get you there slowly so you don't overdo it, but you also have the erase tool and layer opacity if you go too far. This works every time for me.

I made a video for Capture One 20 (13.1) when the new heal brush was released. It is really powerful.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Here is your original JPG with the heal layer off.

Heal-Off.png

Here is your image with the heal layer on.

Heal-On.png

Here is the screen with mask visibility enabled.

Heal-Masks.png

Here are the Heal Brush Settings that I used.

Heal-Brush-Settings.png

For those following along, Walter's process is the same that I would apply using Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw. I assume any full-featured post-processing software these days would have a Heal tool that works essentially the same way with the same controls even if the parameters have different names. Indeed, the names of those parameters are the same in Photoshop.

Last edited:
Real Name
Alex
I don't use Capture but the process shown is good, easy, and works.

Using PS (and TK Actions) I would use a Frequency Separation layer for the cheeks, so you can adjust color and light, without affecting the texture.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I don't use Capture but the process shown is good, easy, and works.

Using PS (and TK Actions) I would use a Frequency Separation layer for the cheeks, so you can adjust color and light, without affecting the texture.
Yes, FS would certainly work.

I wanted to illustrate that it could be done entirely within Capture One as was asked.

Frequency Separation is a great capability. I find with a really low flow heal brush in Capture One I rarely have to use a pixel editor and FS. There are those cases where that level of retouching is necessary and I use it when it is needed.

Thank you for sharing this information Walter. I'm just now starting to work my way through it. My 72 year old eyeballs are failng to read what you have put into "postage stamp" you stuck on her forehead. Would you please just type it out for me.
Thank you
Nick

Real Name
Andy
When retouching skin, a very low flow rate and patiently brushing in the adjustment is the key, IMO. Resample from different desired areas often. Also, this is a task that much more easily performed with a pen and tablet than a mouse.

Thanks for that.

I had to go out to purchase a new stylus for my tablet (pesky darn cats must have hidden somewhere undone bedroom furniture while playing hockey!} Next is update the wacom driver on my MacPro so some more of that water over the head feeling coming up. I think a stylus will give me more control while using my fingers. I find my arms driving the mouse are becoming a little spastic. Ho, hum.

My sometimes hyperactive brain has been working the shiny/oily skin issue in the background and it thrust an alternative solution which works much quicker the the method above.

Here goes:
1. Create an empty healing layer over the image.
2. Create a 100% mask and brush it (Size=500, Hard=32, Opac & Flow=100) over the areas encompassing the shiny parts - for example the whole head.
3. Now use the Luma Range tool, slowly sliding the dark end slider toward the white end and this will edit the first mask you first drew and if you do this very slowly you will end up with only the shiny parts masked with a narrow margin or "fringe" around the outside of all shiny bits.
4. Turn off the luminosity edited mask of with (M).
5. Attack the remaining shiny parts using HDR HIGHLIGHTS slider pushing towards zero, if that is not enough, next use HDR WHITES slider and if it reaches zero and shiny parts persist, they will be hugely reduced in coverage, and as a final step use the exposure tools BRIGHTNESS tool to further contract the shine. Since the mask itself it now larger than the white white areas the skin outside the masks will go weird color that contrasts the surrounding skin. Move the BRIGHTNESS slider until the discolored areas no longer show - the discolored skin will perfectly match the unaffected. But not all shines will be gone but will be shrunken from their original size.
6. Wipe out these remaining shines using the original recipe stated originally. i did a couple of images and found it took about 50% less time.

Well what do you think?

As an asside, on YouTube there is a polish lady (English is heavily accented but her knowledge is deep) giving Capture One lessons/tutorials/guidance on a multiple of subjects - beautiful, portrait, landscape color grading, etc at an advanced level. Her name is KASIA ZMOKLA. She appears to be an expert in color and its manipulation. You should watch at least 10 of her lessons to get beyond the accent and cadence of her delivery.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
My sometimes hyperactive brain has been working the shiny/oily skin issue in the background and it thrust an alternative solution which works much quicker the the method above.

Here goes:
1. Create an empty healing layer over the image.
2. Create a 100% mask and brush it (Size=500, Hard=32, Opac & Flow=100) over the areas encompassing the shiny parts - for example the whole head.
3. Now use the Luma Range tool, slowly sliding the dark end slider toward the white end and this will edit the first mask you first drew and if you do this very slowly you will end up with only the shiny parts masked with a narrow margin or "fringe" around the outside of all shiny bits.
4. Turn off the luminosity edited mask of with (M).
5. Attack the remaining shiny parts using HDR HIGHLIGHTS slider pushing towards zero, if that is not enough, next use HDR WHITES slider and if it reaches zero and shiny parts persist, they will be hugely reduced in coverage, and as a final step use the exposure tools BRIGHTNESS tool to further contract the shine. Since the mask itself it now larger than the white white areas the skin outside the masks will go weird color that contrasts the surrounding skin. Move the BRIGHTNESS slider until the discolored areas no longer show - the discolored skin will perfectly match the unaffected. But not all shines will be gone but will be shrunken from their original size.
6. Wipe out these remaining shines using the original recipe stated originally. i did a couple of images and found it took about 50% less time.

Well what do you think?

As an asside, on YouTube there is a polish lady (English is heavily accented but her knowledge is deep) giving Capture One lessons/tutorials/guidance on a multiple of subjects - beautiful, portrait, landscape color grading, etc at an advanced level. Her name is KASIA ZMOKLA. She appears to be an expert in color and its manipulation. You should watch at least 10 of her lessons to get beyond the accent and cadence of her delivery.
I think if you just use a heal brush on very low flow as I describe you will find it goes pretty fast and in one step. No messing with luminosity masks, HDR, etc.

I would be happy to have a web meeting with you to walk through this. Once you see it in real life I feel confident you will gravitate to it.

I used your method to process half a dozen photos I took yesterday and had no problems, other than its "strangeness". I was watching one of the ZMOKLA videos today and my brain just clicked and out popped method 2. i threw it out there just to see if anyone was intetested. Using method 2, you certainly won't miss any shines, even the tiny ones.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I used your method to process half a dozen photos I took yesterday and had no problems, other than its "strangeness". I was watching one of the ZMOKLA videos today and my brain just clicked and out popped method 2. i threw it out there just to see if anyone was intetested. Using method 2, you certainly won't miss any shines, even the tiny ones.
Can you share a link to the video you watched? I’d like to see it for comparison. Always good to see how other people accomplish a task. Never to late to learn new ways.

I was watching something of hers unrelated to cleaning up shineys, but was related to using an oversized mask on something then peeling the mask down to target was trying to isolate. Zmokla heavily uses luma range tool and ca do some amazing things with it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom