Out of my element...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Wilk, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    OK, truth be told, this is not my favorite subject matter, but I never shy away from an opportunity. I say this so that you may be kind as you shoot down these feble attempts :biggrin:

Actually all shot the same day. My buddy Dean and I went off to cover a protest that never happened... I came upon this Egret (Great? - not good at IDs, sorry) surfing the area for lizards...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we went to the Boca Raton Inlet, these few worked for me...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 80-400vr was marginally ok for the pelican photos... got a lot of OOFs, but I'm not that well versed at AF-C anyhow.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

If this is not in your shooting comfort zone, then I'd really like to see some shots that are. These are excellent.

Looks like you are ready to join the birdie shooting club. :biggrin:

3. The main requirement for being a birdie shooter is to be around some birds. Looks like you have done just that and come up with some nice images to boot.

4. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Gee Flew... thanks! I guess I was happy enough with them, because I did post them after all :eek:

Dunno if I have the gentle patience that you guys do. I'll shoot them when an oportunity arrises, but really, I don't have the patience required to do this a lot. I'm a very impatient shooter, which is why streets/urban suit my style better. You haven't seen the last of me here though :wink: Just whish I had the BIG gun money you guys have :biggrin:

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Gordon... Thanks! It doesn't hurt though to have a 300mm f/2.8 :wink: as apposed to the clunky 80-400, at least it's a vr.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hey man, good job on these! Like the 1st shot very much, it's got good compositional qualities, but love the composition of the last shot. I suppose it's kind of a good thing you picked large, slow(er) flying birds to pick on wit that lens. You did nail the focus on em!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah, they are really TERRIBLE....Can I have them.. :>))....Please....

Good show...Great shots.

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

Nice shots...I LOVE #2...the stark white (which you held REALLY well) against all that pretty green....wow!!! I also liked the last one....Nice composition there. Thanks for sharing....

BTW, you said you were looking for lizards...did you find any?

9. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks Steve... you should have seen how many were OOF! Still, the old clunker did pretty well - like I was saying though, I have precious little experience at AF-C, so obviously results are going to be mixed. I'm happy with the keepers though.

10. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Good! I'm glad I dissapointed someone! :eek:

Thanks for your kind words Gale.

11. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hehehe.... actually, the Egret was the one hunting for them... They are EVERYWHERE here in SoFla. All I got to do is walk down the steps of my apt to the ground floor outside, and I can usually count 10-15 scurring for cover. They're an easy catch down here for foul that don't find them too foul :biggrin:

Funny, that second shot is a testiment to shooting uncompressed RAW with the D2x. I had some blown highlights there, but it wasn't too bad, and they came back just fine in NC... I just love capture!

Thanks for your kind words.