Out with the old and in with the new (sort of)

Well, it finally happened.

After about 8 years of using my trusty Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (w/built in motor). I had to retire it. I purchased the lens used from KEH and it served me extremely well over the 8 or so years I used it. I've photographed a number of weddings, and several fundraising events for our local Children's Hospital, as well as just general purpose shots and it never let me down. Despite the slightly noisy and slower auto focus, the lens always produced crisp sharp images regardless of focal length or aperture.

So after about a 3-4 year hiatus from photography I pulled out all my lenses to clean and inspect them and discovered that my beloved Tammy had developed a tiny spot of fungus on one of the inner rear elements. I brought the lens to our local camera/lens repair shop to inquire about getting the fungus removed. After the fungus was removed the lens would not produce a sharp image (despite trying the lens on four different bodies). I returned the lens to the shop and they said it was a simple realignment of the focusing group and that it was now shooting nice sharp images. I returned home to test the lens to discover it was no different than before. The shop then said that it was possible that the cleaning process somehow damaged the lens coatings and that it would likely not be quite as sharp as it was from the factory. I explained that the images were unusable because the photos looked like the lens had a coating of grease on it. I wasn't willing to spend any more time or money on it, and the shop said that they wouldn't be able to help me any further and that I would need to consider replacing the lens.

So I had received a little bonus from work and had some extra cash. Rather than replacing the Tamron with another one (which I could have picked up for $149 used), I decided to step it up and give the highly touted Nikon AF-S 17-55 f/2.8G a try since I was able to pick one up used in excellent condition from MPB (with a $20 off referral code) for $429 shipped to my door.

51357688788_cb5ab983f0_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

51358474245_14591f1a1a_c.jpg

And a couple of test shots of my pups.

51357615858_896dd77fff_c.jpg

51357615278_1a4d342883_c.jpg

51358400470_3ab243d117_c.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Beautiful huskies! I'll bet one of them is named Bandit. I had two in succession. I see you have them tethered -- they like to run and can't be trusted off the leash. Even in my fenced-in back yard -- and on the leash! -- my second husky would try to escape. Now I have a malamute, a larger husky, but much mellower. He has escaped from my yard, too, but he didn't go very far.

Beautiful huskies! I'll bet one of them is named Bandit. I had two in succession. I see you have them tethered -- they like to run and can't be trusted off the leash. Even in my fenced-in back yard -- and on the leash! -- my second husky would try to escape. Now I have a malamute, a larger husky, but much mellower. He has escaped from my yard, too, but he didn't go very far.
Actually we have a total of three Huskies and none of them are named Bandit. :D

The red one is our boy Sequoia. He is currently two years old.

The white Husky is one of our two girls, her name is Zema (Russian word for Winter). She turned five years old on July 10th. She is our special girl as she was born on the same day (almost exactly 11 hours after) my father passed away from Lung Cancer.

Our third (and oldest at 12 years) girl is Nikita. She is a rescue who we happen to have contact with her previous owner so we know all her history from when she was a puppy. Here is a photo of her. (Just for reference this is a slightly older shot of her and was not taken with the Nikon 17-55 2.8).

51360013164_c70fe1d9c9_c.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom