Outdoor session tomorrow, flash questions

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by iLLMaCK, Aug 1, 2008.

1. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

We're shooting outside @ 10am.
    I asked them not to wear white but they might.`

Any tips?

I'll be shooting D200 w/ 17-50 f/2.8 & 70-200 f/2.8 vr with SB-800 mounted on a flash bracket. SB-600 might be mounted on a stand to my right for fill light.

What settings should I look for flash wish? TTL? 1/3? 0? I'm still lacking in the flash department knowledge wise, but learning as fast as I can.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Camera on manual exposure mode - meter for background -1EV. Flash on TTL - adjust power to taste. This gives more consistent results (IMO) to using TTL-BL mode on the flash.

Watch your shutter speed. If it goes above 1/250 for the aperture you choose, you will have to switch to FP Flash mode.

3. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Thanks John, hopefully I didn't do too bad.

4. Lets see some photos!

Gary

5. I don't like the result of camera mounted flash, and bracket mounted flash is only marginally better. Brackets are useful for indoor work, as they help minimize shadows, but they're not so important outdoors.

For you 2 flash setup, I'd use the sb600 on the bracket, and set it for Fill. Then I'd position the sb800 off to the side, and use it as the Main. Jmho.

That's what I did here, except I used the ambient for fill.

95105204.gif