Outdoor Test Shots: 55-200mm VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Gr8Tr1x, May 7, 2007.

1. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
    All of the most important letters of the alphabet are accounted for. I'd like to see those aperture numbers a little smaller though :mad:

I shot these on UNCC's campus this afternoon. What a beautiful day! Anyway, I was impressed, yet again, by this lens' ability to perform, even wide open. There was a noticeable lack of CA....I did look for it...couldn't find enough of it to bother me....

Again, not a sports lens, I'm not going to advocate it for that...its too slow. But its a pretty decent walkaround telezoom.

D200, ISO 100, Shot RAW. Minor adjustment in ACR, some USM in PSCS2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, stopped down a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wide at 55mm, wide open at f/4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't consider myself to be really picky, but I do like to use a lens wide open thru the whole focal range. These results are very acceptable for me, as an amateur enthusiast photographer. A discerning pro may be much harsher on this lens. It does what I want for $249, and does more than I could get out of the $1500 70-200mm VR; namely, close focusing and a bit wider angle.

This is where this lens will spend most of it's time aimed...

[​IMG]
    Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D200
    Exposure Time 0.0125s (1/80)
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO 100
    Focal Length 82mm (123mm 35mm)
    Photo Dimensions 2344 x 3344

2. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Outstanding!!! What a bargain. I'm not overly discerning either...don't have the eye for it I guess....but dang if these don't look first rate!!

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Stuart, I'm trying to find something wrong...I really am (within the lens' specifications anyway). I wish it were faster...hopefully Nikon will release a 50-135mm 2.8 VR..in the meantime, this is a great indoor (with flash) tele.

I can't use the 70-300mm VR the same way, so it will be a 'going to the zoo' lens.

Thanks for looking.

4. Pretty sharp, very nice results

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

looks like decent bokeh behind your beautiful wife too but enough to judge....i would like to see more though ,,bokeh samples and your beautiful wife, of course ....;-))