Outer Banks, North Carolina

Take 2. Let's try this again. :smile:

Went to Rodanthe for a weekend with a buddy of mine to shoot some photos. We are hoping to get back there for our usual week sometime in the next month or so.

Very nice sunset one evening, viewed across the Pamlico Sound from Rodanthe. You can see the smoke from the Stumpy Point fire drifting southward against the clouds.

Sunset over Pamlico Sound by bumeister1, on Flickr

Some aerial photos, taken from ~500 feet. The flight was around an hour, and was well worth the $70 charge. The pilot was kind enough to allow me to shoot from the one seat with the open window.

Hatteras Inlet by bumeister1, on Flickr

Ocracoke and Silver Lake by bumeister1, on Flickr

Portsmouth Village by bumeister1, on Flickr

Portsmouth Village by bumeister1, on Flickr

Near Ocracoke Inlet by bumeister1, on Flickr

Bodie Island Lighthouse by bumeister1, on Flickr

Swanquarter, NC by bumeister1, on Flickr

Thanks folks... I love the Outer Banks (even went to grad school for marine science!), and try to get there at least a couple times a year.

BTW, for those who are interested, the aerial shots were facilitated by Burrus Flying Services. They fly out of Billy Mitchell Airport (just an airstrip, really) in Frisco. It's a great time, definitely worth the money, although it's likely to be hot and hazy this time of year.

Brought me back!! I spent a week there last summer and miss it every day. Hope to see more once you get back there!

Tim

I've been back on the Outer Banks since Saturday, it has not been a good week for photography, unfortunately. Very hazy, and persistent southwest winds have brought lots of smoke from the Pender county wildfire. Made an effort to take some sunrise/early morning shots today, but the whole eastern sky was clouded over.

Still... a week at the beach, even with daily afternoon thunderstorms and bad photos, beats the heck out of a week at work.

Top Bottom