Outer Banks of NC advice.

Headed down to Kill Devil Hills in a couple weeks. I've been to OBX 4 times, so I have tons of the common tourist images, i.e., Wright Bros, Lighthouses, the big sand dune etc. I'd appreciate any advice on how I can get "off the beaten' path". I'm looking to find some of the more obscure locations if there are any. Abandoned buildings, natural wonders, old towns or any freaky stuff. I'll be there for a week, so I'll have some time to drive around. I've been known to hike 3-5 miles to locations, so that's not an issue. Thanks! :smile:

Try Roanoke Island, across the bridge from the outlet stores. Its not far from Kill Devil Hills. Its not really off the beaten path but you can find some photo opportunities there. Ocracoke is a good suggestion because you have to take a ferry to get there. These are some photos my wife took from Roanoke.

2644475692_b25ccf9765.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 223757

View attachment 223758

I think Pinhead's dead on. Some of my favorite shots are of the dunes and wild ponies up in Carova. You definitely need 4wd and make sure you are keeping an eye on the tide charts! Several years ago, we had a mile of beach to ourselves on July 4 weekend. There are also some nice kayak-accessible dune areas accessible on the sound side near Tommy's Market in Duck.

Head WAY up 12 and keep going when the road ends. You will need a good 4wd vehicle to make the trip. I have been going to the Outer Banks for the last 10 years and your best bet for horses and other wildlife is about 6-8 miles up the 4wd beach. You will find wild horses, terns, osprey, and pelicans fishing in the surf. Your best bet is early morning before it gets too hot. I've kayaked the canals and found egrets, GBH, green herons, and other water fowl. I will miss it this year, as we have changed out plans and are heading to Maine instead. Have a great time, the Outer Bansk is a wonderful place to visit.

T

triples2008

also going to OBX this Sept ....

Thanks for the tips.... will definitly try some of these spots!

John

Head down to Pea Island for some birding photos, although depending on when you go bring a lot of bug spray. Manteo and the Waschese waterfront are worth visiting, as well as the Elizabethian Gardens and the Lost Colony show. Definitely do the ferry to Oracroke also.

Latest threads

Top Bottom