outsourcing retoucing/post processing work?

Discussion in 'People' started by hahnphoto, Jul 30, 2007.

1. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm interested to know if anyone outsources their retouching work.

I have a couple big weddings with around 3000 images each and they are all due ASAP. I'm overbooked, overworked, and backed up with work piling on the desk. If I could just outsource the initial editing of these images (filter through the raw images, delete bad ones, make all necessary adjustments) it would help a lot. I'm a perfectionist and this process takes me a long time, even using lightroom. Right now I'm the only one that does the retouching, but that is going to have to change because I can't do it all.

Does anyone outsource this step of the process, and if so, who do you use? How do they work the pricing- by hour, number of images, etc?

2. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Heather if I was near you I would offer to help out and punch through some.

3. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks James! I thought about finding some local help but there have to be some companies out there that are accostomed to doing this, handing large amounts of files. Heck I know people are out there that can do a better job of PP than I can in a shorter amount of time, I just dont think I could find that locally (and if so, do I really want them seeing all the photos in the lot that "leave a bit to be desired"??? I'd rather someone far away who will never have contact with my clients or future clients see them!)

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wish I had the time.
    Would love to do stuff like that.
    I am to fussy with images though.

5. Hesperus

Hesperus Guest

6. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
  7. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    I agree, I wasn't too happy with the examples from photoshopservices.co.uk. If the examples aren't that great I worry about my 3000 bulk job.

Someone else recommended Lavalu (mylavalu.com)... has anyone had experience with them?

8. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks for the advice though Hesperus, it got me on the right track!

9. Hesperus

Hesperus Guest

I mentioned your question to a web design friend of mine who suggested using one of the freelance job hosting forums - he suggested -

http://www.contractedwork.com/

but he hasnt used it specifically for photoshop work and I really am out of my depth here - just thought I'd pass the info on for what it is worth. Basically you post details of the work you want completed and freelance workers bid on the job. He also mentioned

http://www.getafreelancer.com/

10. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    you could always get a virtual assistant that is proficient in photo editing. google virtual assistant. They often work by the hour but perhaps you could arrange to have them work per image. By outsourcing overseas (especially india) you can save quite a bit of money... if outsourcing is your gig.

11. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    mr2monster- so are you saying I should "google" the term "virtual assistant", or that the company google offers virtual assistants?

12. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Hey Heather, google the term "virtual assistant" and you'll find a bunch of companies that offer it. I've never used it for this type of thing but I've had virtual assistants (at a company i used to work for) type resumes, draft formal sales letters, make web pages, etc. Basically anything that they dont have to be physically present for, you can hire them to do.

13. The examples shown on that sight look ok to me, the gentleman is from a very underexposed file. Victoria, the owner/operator is known to me and I have a high respect not only for her work but her knowledge and advice. She is someone who works with her customers to get the result THEY want.
    You might want to contact her and try her with a test.

14. v.bampton

v.bampton Guest

Hi - I'm Victoria - owner of Photoshop Services! Thanks to Geoff for sending me the link to this thread, and for the kind comments!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on the website - it's really useful. I'm well aware the examples on there desperately need updating, and really don't show off my work. The website was thrown together very quickly about 18 months ago when I started up, but there's been so much interest, mainly through recommendations, that I've been having to turn quite a lot of work away, hence the website redesign has been on the back burner. The update (with proper galleries of complete weddings) is already underway, and hopefully when the wedding season slows down I will finally be able to finish it.

There are also a couple of other companies who I can recommend, for those looking for post processing/outsourcing:

http://www.rawpudding.com/ (a nice guy called Brian Tao)
    http://www.mylavalu.com/ (I think have already been mentioned)

Victoria

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Outsource out of our country...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

16. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Very good info here

Great info in this thread, thanks all!

17. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona

I know, i know... that's why i said if it's your thing. haha.

18. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    This thread has been helpful, thanks all. I haven't settled on someone yet but hope to before the end of the week. Glad Victoria and Kiwi shared their firsthand input as well... I can second the feelings about website update need, but not having the time!

19. Hesperus

Hesperus Guest

20. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Tell me about it!

"Globalization or Globalisation ... welcome to www

Isn't that what is great about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalisation"

People move around, it is good to be able to keep in touch!