Outstanding Apple Service

So my wife's 4.5 year old Macbook gave up the ghost last week. I thought it was time to get her an air since I didn't have much hope. We took the laptop to the apple store and perused the offerings. Mac rumors tells me that new laptops are imminent, so I am somewhat reluctant.

The genius quotes me 60 to 500$ to fix it. And then alternatively he suggests a flat rate repair 'no matter what is wrong' for $280. That seems like an OK deal. I go for it.

I get an email from Apple stating that they is extensive liquid damage and that the bill is now 755$. I can choose repair or return. I choose call Apple.

The apple person was pleasant enough but was not understanding when I said that they told me 280$ to fix it no matter what. She said since there was liquid damage, that was not an option. To which I replied, my invoice says flat rate repair, please fix my computer and I'll gladly pay the 280$ and we'd be done. She politely told me that she wasn't authorized to make that call. I asked to speak to a manager.

I'll spare you the details, even though it was pleasant and polite, but in the course of about 15 mins she offered the repair for free.

I just picked it up: New logic board, keyboard, display, cd/dvd drive, and rubber feet. All free! I am shocked.

Installing a OWC SSD as I write this. I think this thing is good to go for another 4.5 years! Thanks Apple!

I've always been treated well by the folks at Apple, too. That's why I'll never switch!

I'm sorry but it really doesn't sound as if it was a pleasant experience dealing with them, as first they said, "flat rate repair 'no matter what is wrong' for $280", and then tried to rip you off to the amount of $755 :eek: and not as they promised you a flat rate of $280. If you have to argue and then go up the command chain to get it repaired for what was promised, well it's wasn't good experience with Apple.

I don't know what you said to the manager, but to me, if it's stated "NO MATTER WHAT" in the quote, it means exactly that. This is a contract that you entered into with them, and they where breaking it...
So I am guessing you got it for free as the manager didn't want it to go any further (or for what ever reason the manager had), and this was great for you, but how many others didn't argue or wanted to speak to someone else up the chain of command, or even worst, ended up paying over the original $280 quote... You'd have to think about that..!!!.

No, to me that really was extremely poor customer service to start with and only come out good because you pushed the matter.
If it was to be considered good, they would have just repaired it and did what they originally promised in the quote...

It's just that I hate these companies that try to make it seem that they are doing you a big favour, when you have to argue and stress yourself over something they promise and then don't deliver, but then in the end, if they do what they originally promised it makes them appear as they are the good guys... Doesn't work with me...
Apple should be ashamed of itself and any other company that practices this type of dealing with their loyal customers... JMHO...

I'm sorry but it really doesn't sound as if it was a pleasant experience dealing with them, as first they said, "flat rate repair 'no matter what is wrong' for $280", and then tried to rip you off to the amount of $755 :eek: and not as they promised you a flat rate of $280. If you have to argue and then go up the command chain to get it repaired for what was promised, well it's wasn't good experience with Apple.

I don't know what you said to the manager, but to me, if it's stated "NO MATTER WHAT" in the quote, it means exactly that. This is a contract that you entered into with them, and they where breaking it...
So I am guessing you got it for free as the manager didn't want it to go any further (or for what ever reason the manager had), and this was great for you, but how many others didn't argue or wanted to speak to someone else up the chain of command, or even worst, ended up paying over the original $280 quote... You'd have to think about that..!!!.

No, to me that really was extremely poor customer service to start with and only come out good because you pushed the matter.
If it was to be considered good, they would have just repaired it and did what they originally promised in the quote...

It's just that I hate these companies that try to make it seem that they are doing you a big favour, when you have to argue and stress yourself over something they promise and then don't deliver, but then in the end, if they do what they originally promised it makes them appear as they are the good guys... Doesn't work with me...
Apple should be ashamed of itself and any other company that practices this type of dealing with their loyal customers... JMHO...

....sorry, my thoughts too!

I am shocked by the great turn of events, what made apple do the repair for free ?
Is there something they are not saying/telling ?

Any accident happened in the past that could have caused the "liquid damage" analysis ?

Overall sounds really fishy .....

According to the manager, the apple employee at the store didn't tell me the whole 'story' w.r.t. flat rate repair...

Agree! Apple was playing the odds here. I'm sure a good percentage of people wouldn't take the time to fight the decision and pay. It is definitely not good service. Sounds more like something they learned from the good folks at Circuit City.:biggrin:

As someone probably switching to Apple I read this to hear about their great service. I agree with the above that is wasn't great service and more of a run around like any other company out there does.

Any accident happened in the past that could have caused the "liquid damage" analysis ?

The OP has as location listed "Seattle, WA". The "liquid detection strips" are known to be triggered by high humidity, over time, as well, having the "unfortunate" side effect that it allows manufacturers to claim "liquid damage with proof" when in reality the electronics never have seen water.

I know there are multiple reported cases of Nikon refusing warranty repairs on the WC (especially SF area) because the liquid strips indicate "water damage" where in reality they were likely triggered by high humidity levels over time.

I am sure my wife or kids may have spilled water on the laptop, but what I think was frustrating was that the store employee said flat rate, no matter what. I agree, they shouldn't have stuck me with a higher bill, but then again, I didn't expect them to give it to me for free.

I will update my opinion to /ok/ service.

Thanks for sharing this experience! Looks line the store employee made a mistake in explaining that flat rate. Mistakes happen, what matters is how companies deal with them once brought to their attention. And it looks Apple did the right thing. It certainly does not qualify as "extremely poor service" as some here think.

Update: So after getting my wife's computer fixed for free, my son's exhibited the same behavior. When I opened the bottom cover, I was dismayed to find water on the circuit board.

This time apple quoted me 755$ correctly (I guess).

So basically 2 complete overhauls for 800. Not bad. Not great.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Update: So after getting my wife's computer fixed for free, my son's exhibited the same behavior. When I opened the bottom cover, I was dismayed to find water on the circuit board.

Couldn't you just dry it out in a hot room, if it was water?

So does he now admit to spilling something on both computers? Unless he changes whatever it is he is doing, won't it happen again?

My wife's was 4.5 years old. My son's was only 2. I think I will buy apple care when I get a laptop for my daughter....

Latest threads

Top Bottom