Overcast IR (Unusual Post Processing)

I love how IR looks on Overcast days, so when It stormed over today I went out and took a few shots.

I shot these in RAW, which limits my WB range since I used CS3 to edit them (Capture NX isn't as limited, but I don't use it)

This means color swaps leave the sky purple, which causes some really strange looking landscapes. Also I was using my 8mm f3.5 lens, which I slightly corrected (so no black corners) Which creates some funky distortions.

Other than that for editing, its just contrast, and 2 layers (which aren't perfect in their selection)

finalpano2%20bw.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

quails%20gate%20color.jpg

quals_gate_bw.jpg

overcast.jpg

overcast12.jpg

overcast_2.jpg

overcast_3.jpg

overcast_5.jpg

overcast_8.jpg

Howdy You,

Really neat perspectives and compositions, they just really draw the viewer in.

Neat colors also:biggrin:

Is that the Sig 8mm?

Yes it is the Sigma 8mm (F3.5, not the F4 one)
Its a really fun lens, I've used it a bit on film, but with this minor distortion correction I do, it really offers some crazy perspectives without any black edges. So I think I'll use it for that mostly.

Colors (in the purple skies) are a bit more intense than what I normally do, but since they showed up without any extra editing I just left them in!

Yes it is the Sigma 8mm (F3.5, not the F4 one)
Its a really fun lens, I've used it a bit on film, but with this minor distortion correction I do, it really offers some crazy perspectives without any black edges. So I think I'll use it for that mostly.

Colors (in the purple skies) are a bit more intense than what I normally do, but since they showed up without any extra editing I just left them in!

Thanks for the info and reply, I really like the different perspectives also, and the correction editing really renders some neat shots.

Please post more when you can.

I really like your third photo. My limited experience with infrared has shown me that some of the most dramatic infrared photos are those that combine nature and man-made objects such as roads, buildings, pathways or anything not natural. The surreal soft look of infrared is somehow balanced or offset by the starkness and rigidity of something more harsh and geometrically defined. Your third photo is a good example of this. Keep up the good work.

omg that was some nice series of pictures:eek: i really want a IR-filter:( not possible to get that anymore it seems ;(
but anyways great job on the pictures!

Thanks again :)
I was amazed to see this thread make it back up to the first page!

I missed the chance to get to use my IR camera for a wedding I did (not enough time!) Which is too bad, I thought it would be fun!
So I haven't actually taken too many IR pictures since these!

13bracer

wow im speechless
simply amazing pics..
ive wanted to tryout IF for awhile
and this makes me want to even more..
great job

Latest threads

Top Bottom