Overcoming no view finder concerns

I have a D5500 that I had converted to infrared. Since its IR I have to shoot in live view to get proper focus, so I basically use live all the time with this camera.

I don't like using live view outside. Yes the lcd panel tilts and all that, but it is still hard to make things out in the sun. I have the brightness all the way up, but it's hard to see what you have composition wise. I don't like it. It's very easy to crop things out of the frame because you just can't see where things start and stop in the sun. I don't have a choice really so I make do, but no matter how they try to spin it, using live view outside in the sun, with tilt screen or not is not fun. I suppose I could go out with an Ansel sheet over my head, but I'm not that dedicated to the art.

I looked into getting one of those hoodman loop thingies, but the diopter adjustment doesn't go far enough for me. So that was a dead end as well. Seems like the old fashioned view finder is still hard to beat even after all these years.

Rob, you're right. It's hard to use, even in areas where there is no sun like where I live. The other day I was using LV on my D800 and had to drape a hoodie I was wearing over the camera and my head.

Rob, you're right. It's hard to use, even in areas where there is no sun like where I live. The other day I was using LV on my D800 and had to drape a hoodie I was wearing over the camera and my head.
I repurposed the hood I used for large format. One time I used a my Canon point and shoot for a planned panorama. I used my big wood 4x5 tripod , light cloth, and the tiny camera. Got some strange looks, but a great shot.

Hoodman makes a loupe for view screens you might consider.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom