Owls with Louie

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Dec 3, 2005.

1. I had a nice day with Louie and Bruce. We left my house where there was a couple of inches of snow on the ground. It was a cold day with little sun. I was happy to have done a bit better than my first outing. These guys are more than a little difficult to shoot with no light!!! I shot no lower than ISO 800 and many at High I on the D2X. If you do not acquire these guys and track them, there is no way they will be in focus. They are small and so fast. Much harder than the Trumpeter Swans thats for sure.

original.

I like this because the eyes are in focus and the wings show the motion.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

We saw this eagle on the tree as we were leaving. This was shot hand held from the side of Louie's door for support. It was also shot at Hi I ISO.

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Eagle!!!!!!!

OWLS are mysterious. Hard to find..

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great looking Owl just begging to be photographed and you've done it well. Oh and then you hit me with another darn excellent Eagle shot!!

I like what I see !! :smile:

4. Good shots Jim.

I agree, #2 is very good. The OOF background and motion in the wings draws the eye to his face, with those eyes burning back at you.

For the eagle, did you do any noise removal? It looks very clear on the web.

5. Thanks Ron. I do not own any noise programs other than what is in CS2 and NC4. As I recall I used a pretty mild reduction in CS2. The file was not too bad and I was lucky as I did no ev adjustment on it. I was happy to know I can shoot at that high ISO if needed. I sure would like to get back to 200 or even 400, but we had little or no sun today.

6. Thanks Ben. If the light had been good, we would have had a lot more opportunites to get some eagle shots. There were plenty around, but they were not flying due to the cold, dark day. We have been very lucky to have found this spot where the owls are. I hope they will stay around a while longer and we can get them in the sun. That would sure be nice. The af system is working over time trying to stich with these guys. Louie was having a hard time even with his D2h.

7. Thanks Gale. I almost did not even try to shoot it, but Louie did not have any pictures so we stopped. I decided I would try to hand hold my 500. I did use the window to help support me. I was surprised it was in focus at all. Sure wish we had your 75 degrees today.

8. wow you guys had a great day! thanks for throwing in that eagle, it helps in our conspiracy against poor Ben(bfjr)

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Jim -

All great shots, but my favorite is the incoming owl you must have shot at a slow shutter speed to blur the wings. The blur both adds a real sense of movement and brings all the more focus on those amazing eyes. Excellent!

Gordon

10. Thanks Dave. It was a good day but we sure could have used some sun!! We should have lots of eagles in the near future. They are starting to arrive on the Skagit now.

11. Thanks Gordon. Here is the exif information. Yes the shutter was slow. 1/160 and that was at ISO 800 and f4.5 plus one stop for the tc. The Sigma lens does not seem to read the TC information.

Date/Time 02-Dec-2005 23:31:40
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2X
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 500 mm
    Exposure Time 1/160 sec
    Aperture f/5
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

I am sorry I missed you yesterday. Did you have a good day? We had snow this morning.

12. Just fantastic very very well done you should be thrilled these birds fascinate me

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sure wish that I could even see an Owl in the wild, much less catch flight shots. These are very well done Jim. I'm amazed that the noise is so low for such hi ISO shots. Not one of the strengths of the D2H I'm afraid.

14. Jim, looking at these I'm glad that Andreas and I went the day before :biggrin: , we did have a bit better light. That is really cool, #2, with the wings and all, did you do that on purpose???? :wink: It is really nice the way he was coming so directly at you, the effect is really cool. Can't wait for our next outing up that way.

Gordon, the Eagles should still be around when you are back in a couple of months. As long as we can do a February trip, I think we will get a shot at all of these.

15. Oh man, S W E E T...............luv that 2nd shot, looks like you had hay day!

16. Thanks Mike. I hope to be able to do this in better light next time. They are sure fun to watch.

17. Thanks Frank. While I would prefer to shoot at low ISO, I was quite happy that these were useable at all. I did get the exposure right and that helped.

18. Bill I wish I could have made it with you guys on Friday as well. We will have to do it again when you get back. Maybe you can bring that sun too.

19. Thanks Keith. It was pure luck, but don't tell Dewey!!!

20. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Wow, inflight Owl shots,liked the different POV.