P&S digital help...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cwilt, Sep 9, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My father in law asked me to find him a good P&S and printer. He has very shakey hands so I was looking for one with IS/VR. I have narrowed that search to Cannon S2 IS and Panasonic FZ5. Any opinions on these?

How much shake will it take out? Should I be looking for a tripod instead?

Thanks.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Paul,

Let me complicate things a little more. :smile:

He is about 70 years old, over 6 feet tall and drives an 18 wheeler all over the country. In his travels he sees lots of old barns that he would love to capture. He used to photograph with 4x5 film but wants the convience of a digi P&S.

4. The FZ5 is rated highly, and the image stabilization is reportedly effective. I'd go for the FZ20, though. Same zoom range and pixel count, but it offers a constant f/2.8, has a hotshoe for an external flash, and it's black.

The only drawback of this class of camera is noise. You don't want to take them above iso 100.

Here's the DPR review of the fz20.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Frank. I had not looked at the FZ20. The 2.8 glass could come in handy. More research is needed. I think a tripod is going to be needed for his landscape shots anyway, but the IS/VR would be good for snapshots.

For the printer I was looking at the Epson R300 which when combined with an external DVD burner would give him a way to print and back up without a computer. That is a good thing in his case. :wink:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nikon cp 8800 VR.....

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Looked at it. He won't spend that much.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Take a look at the new Kodak P850, very nice camera from Kodak
    One of the advantages over the S2is is that it uses LiLon batteries over AA so you will get a lot more battery life. (Kodak is saying about 300 per charge.)
    Another advantage over both the canon and Panasonic is the 2.5" LCD.
    Best of all it works with a Kodak Printer Dock, which makes making real kodak pictures real simple, just like you get from a photo lab.
    Best Buy should have it in stock, but might not be on display since they just started arriving this week, so if you don't see ask to see it.
    Click here to see it on Kodak's site