P&S for a combat photographer

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Daniel Bates, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    Hey all,

As some of you know, I joined the Army and am getting ready for Basic Training to start in a few weeks. I'll be a combat photographer (25V), and as such, the government will be supplying my [Nikon] camera equipment. I sold off my Canon personal gear, since there's not much point in having a personal kit that is fundamentally incompatible with my work cameras. Now this leaves me camera-less - a less than pleasant experience for a photographer!

I thought about getting a Nikon DSLR and using it with the military-supplied kit, but I'm not sure that I would want to do so (for insurance and liability purposes). At any rate, I'd rather wait for an update to the D2_ series, since I have a suspicion that Nikon might be coming out with something new and updated in the relatively new future.

In the meantime, I would like to get a camera. A point-and-shoot would suit me well, I think, for the times where I just want a small camera and don't want to drag along a pro-series DSLR and two or three lenses. I do have some requirements and preferences: It must be rugged, since I may not be in the best of environments, and I'm not particularly easy on my gear anyways. :) I need manual controls - that's a non-negotiable; I'd prefer that the camera have a hotshoe for an optical viewfinder. I need a fast, fairly sharp lens for available light work, and high ISO capability for the same reason. I would prefer that the camera be fairly compact and coloured black for unobtrusiveness.

(Whew.)

Now I've been looking for a while, and the closest thing I've found is the Ricoh GR Digital. This camera is rugged, compact, black! (heh), has excellent manual controls, has a hotshoe, and a fairly fast fixed 28mm lens. It is rather slow in operation, however, with a 2-second startup time, a ~2.6 second write time in JPEG fine, and a 12.5 second (!) write time in RAW. It also shows noticeable noise at ISO 64, significant noise at ISO 400, and a whole bucketful of noise (my technical term) at ISO 1600.

However, it's more or less the only game in town as far as I can see. Does anyone know of a better camera out there, or should I spring for the Ricoh (through Adorama), noise be damned? Or should I wait for the next generation of point-and-shoot technology?

Eagerly awaiting your advice,
    --Daniel

2. Is the D40x too big for you?

3. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    I think so... with lenses it is fairly bulky, and I don't like that it doesn't work with non-AF-S lenses.

4. P5000 or you can mount an S10 right on your rifle.....Saw this on 60min about how the soldiers were capturing great shots right from the front ranks.....They had S10's mounted on their rifles.

Gotta love that twist thing.

GenoP

5. When I was in Kuwait back in 2000 I took photos for the base paper and for our squadron events with a Kodak DC265. If I had to go back it would be with one of the Nikon CoolPix cameras or maybe the Canon G7.