P&S help?

I need to pick up a point and shoot for a trip coming up and think I have it narrowed down to these three but need help deciding.
Panasonic Lumix LX5
Canon G12
Canon S95

I know I can't go wrong with any of these cameras but which one get's "the edge"
Most important thing - image quality
Also important better low-light ability and wide angle.
IQ is the biggest concern.
Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realized that the lx5 has a lens cap. That may make this a lot easier of a decision. A lens cap on a P&S sounds like kind of a pain. Think I am leaning towards the s95.

IQ is identical with the G12 and the Canon S95 - the Panny might be a titch better though.

For me it came down to "pocketability". The Panasonic is much bigger due to the way the lens sits on the camera and does not recess into the body when not in use.

The S95 isn't quite as wide as the Panny - 28mm vs. 24mm - but it is just as fast at F2.0.

Pocketability is worth thinking about. Even the G12 is quite large, more of a 'jacket pocket' camera, so this may favour the S95. On the other hand, only the G12 has a built-in optical viewfinder which, even though it's pretty small, is something I always want in a camera.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If you really care about wide angle then the LX5 is the only choice at 24mm.

I have the optical viewfinder for the LX3/LX5 - it fits in the flash socket. So you can use the camera to the eye.

Yes, there is a lens cap. But worth suffering it for the quality that you get.

since you are a dslr shooter, i think the G12 will suit your "needs" better....zoom, size etc etc..
yes the lx5/s95 sit in your pocket, but how many people including yourself walk around with the camera in your back pocket, then pull it out quickly, take the shot and put in back in your pocket..?? doesnt happen, i found in my hands they were too small.
the iq of all 3 are there, all very good.

Latest threads

Top Bottom