P&S recommendations for auto-everything use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave Dickerson, May 2, 2007.

1. I'd like to get a new P&S camera for my wife to replace her aging Coolpix. Her camera will remain set to full auto all the time-she's just not interested in fooling with adjusting any setting, ever. I want to get her something that will give the best image quality possible with auto exposure, auto WB, auto ISO, auto everything else.

From searching threads here from the last few months, the most recommended point and shoot models seem to be the Fuji F30 and the Canon A710 IS. Are these models a good bet for a dedicated point and shoot user like my wife? Any other models I should consider?

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Does she like to shoot at a zoo? My wife and I do. About 3 years ago, her Coolpix ran out of batteries midway through the zoo trip. I offered her my D70 which she had previously declined every time in the past (I was also carrying video). This time she borrowed my D70. She would not take any instructions (that is my wife!!). Her first shot was this (completely untouched):

[​IMG]

When we left the zoo, she said, O.K., I changed my mind. "I want a D70 now". The rest is history. She now carries a D200 with a D80 backup. Never shoots in auto mode. Self taught.

Point is, this MAY be the perfect opportunity to introduce your wife to a D70, D70s, D50, D80, or D40... Just 3 years ago she said, "I do not want to fool with changing lenses, I just want to take pictures!"... how things have changed...

All the best,

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    bought my parents a Canon 710IS and contemplating another couple of them now that the price has dropped to $250.00 for my wife and daughter.

Extremely happy with teh shots they took in full auto mode.

while I agree about the D70 posted above, the size and weight are the prime factor in my wife and daughters case.

Wade

4. I will buy a Fuji F31fd within the next days to replace our CP5700. I was able to handle it shortly when a friend visited us. The colors are more neutral compared to Canon's Ixus line, but the High ISO behaviour is sensational for a P&S. The ISO 800 shots look like the ISO 200 shots of my CP5700. Since ISO 400 is still very clean I was recommended to use it in Auto ISO limited to ISO 400.
    Also the head detection is a nice feature.
    Only problem is a certain level of color fringing along edges with high contrast.

Cheers

5. chili_grower

chili_grower

Dec 21, 2006
    England
    Have you ever looked at the Panasonic Lumix FZ series ( think the FZ8 is the latest incarnation ) ?
    A while ago, a relative of mine needed a slightly larger than normal P&S with longish reach, and we ended up with an FZ7.

Due to its small sensor size, it is obviously going to be noisy compared to a DSLR, but I have to say, for what it is, it quite impressed me .

Very easy to use, nice IQ, Image Stablisation and equiv of 36-420mm FL.

Might be worth a look ....

6. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Funny story John, and lovely shot. I've offered the use of my D70 to my wife in the past and she's declined. I loaned her my old Panasonic FZ10 (which I believe is slightly smaller than a D40) and she thought that was too big. She might change her mind one day, but after 34 years of marriage, I've figured out I won't change her mind.:smile:

Thanks for the recommendation on the Canon 710IS, Wade; that's exactly the sort of user experience I'm looking for.

Harry, I'll definitely check out the Fuji F31fd. I've been impressed by many of the shots I've seen from the F30; maybe the 31d will be a little more forgiving in bright sunlight without EV compensation.

Jon, I'll take a good look at some of the Panasonics. The TZ3 seems pretty nice. My wife might enjoy the big zoom range, and I know from experience the Panasonic stabilization system works well.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    My folks were on a 4 week trip to New Zealand and Australia, land and sea, they had never shot a digital camera ever, up to this year they had only used a p&S film 35mm

I bought them the A710IS and gave them 8 sets of lithium AA batteries for the trip and two 2 GB cards plus 1 1GB card and they came back with over 1000 photos and only had to switch out one 2 Gb card once and used only 3 sets of batteries, they loved the ease of use. I showed them how to turn on the unit, turn the control setting to green, and told them to half press shuter to see the green light and then press the rest of the way. tons of great photos, now they said they are ready to learn how to turn off the flash (two more buttons to push.

One good thing is even though it is small, it still has a nice bump on the right side to assist with holding.

the outdoor photos were as good as my CP 5000 shots in color saturation, but they are punched up by canon.

8. vista

vista Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007