P6000 is out!

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by icecavern, Aug 7, 2008.

1. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    And a Windows-only RAW file format . . . :confused::confused::confused:

2. Yeah I did notice that, I assume it's because veiwNX etc uses the OSX inbuilt raw conversion code, which means an OS update :(

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    We will see.

From http://press.nikonusa.com/2008/08/new_coolpix_p6000_offers_digit.php

"* COOLPIX Picture Control NRW (RAW) files can only be processed
    in-camera. NRW (RAW) files are compatible for use in-camera, with
    ViewNX (Windows version only, available early October 2008) or with
    WIC-based applications. Capture NX, Capture NX2 and NEF files are not
    compatible with NRW (RAW) images."

4. Don't see a price listed - the USA site gave me a page error when I tried to click on the P6000

built in GPS is nice and so is the hot shoe

5. OK, Finally a Nikon P&S that looks great. I'll probably get one and retire my old Canon S2 IS.

6. i wonder if it will equal the Canon G9

7. $499.99, I believe I saw...

8. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Msrp $499.95

According to NikonUSA.

9. Ah yes

10. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    a new RAW format not compatible with their flagship software NX2, DNG or photoshop? If true I am stunned, speechless. I thought the war on Adobe was over but not even NX2? Someone tell me I am wrong.

11. barnclos

barnclos Guest

On another forum, they suggest that the 1/1.72"sensor is 0.41 cm², i.e. 7.3 mm x 5.6 mm.

For a high MP camera, this IMHO seems tiny. So I checked the opposition and the Canon G9 isn't significantly better: a 1/1.7" (i.e. 7.60 x 5.70 mm, 0.43 cm²) sensor.

I would be very happy to forgo the zoom and some of the MPs if I could have a larger sensor. One of my all time favourite (film) cameras was the fixed focal length (35mm) Olympus mju2 (Olympus Stylus Epic in the USA) - it was tiny but produced excellent pictures.

Is it physically possible to build a large sensor fixed focal length digital camera in a small body, and does anyone else share my longing for such a machine?

[Next paragraph is a minor rant, please feel free to skip it]
    I don't understand why manufacturers continue to use the archaic video camera tube system for sensor sizes. I'm afraid that it is a marketing ploy to make sensors seem bigger than they are: a sensor size of 1/1.72 inch seems much more impressive than 7.3 mm x 5.6 mm.

All the best

12. photoman39

photoman39

May 4, 2005
    Woburn MA
    P6000

IMHO this is another poor decision by Nikon. Too many MPs and the BIGIE not supporting NEF thereby cutting out users of Capture NX, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Aperture and all Mac users for and as yet proven MS product. Dumb, dumb.

Panasonic has a new camera with 24mm 3x zoom, 1/1.6 10 mp sensor and readable RAW format coming... sadly no optical finder, and Cannon will have G9 replacement soon.

Why this P6000 mistake????

Steven

13. I'll bet a future update for NX2 will support it. My guess is there wasn't time and they didn't want to hold the camera's release. ViewNX will convert them. Probably an easier change.

No idea about DNG (and personally I don't care).

14. Yeah that sounds about right... Or ONLY £429 in the UK ($836!!!)

Looks like I will be waiting until my next US trip to get one.

Just outrageous how we get ripped off in the UK!

Paul

15. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    i'm honestly wondering why someone would by those over a d40 + kit lens.

I mean for 50 more at costco you can get the d40, 18-55, 55-200 and a 2gb card. ***.

16. An utterly mental decision to not provide NEF support.

17. Simple

Weight and size. The D40 seems like a compromise to me - bigger than a P&S but not quite up to the standards of it's bigger brothers the D300 or D700.

18. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Jeff the D40 with kit lens is TINY. Maybe just a touch bigger than this guy.

19. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Wow, 28 mm at the wide end. Finally! And I think I read somewhere that it can accept SB-600's and 800's on the shoe with full i-TTL capability. MSRP is where I thought it would be but I bet you see these for 399.95-450.00 soon after they're launched.