1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PA/tristate area shooters...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan Scott, Sep 19, 2008.

1. After spending a few days in Vermont and climbing the highest mountain there, I'm really hungry for the oppertunity to find other great scenic mountains or viewpoints(and have all of my camera gear with me)

I live about 30 min north of Philadelphia, and am looking for any suggestions within a 2-3 hour drive from here. I'm a pretty experienced climber so difficult trails aren't too much a problem, but I don't exactly want to reenact the movie Cliffhanger with my full Expedition 8 and tripod on my back.

So, any suggestions for some great summit views?

2. STSinNYC

STSinNYC

Sep 15, 2008
    NY, NY
    Just saw your question now.

The Delaware Water Gap offers nice vistas from both sides (PA and NJ). The PA side (Mt. Minsi) is an easier hike. On the NJ side, you'll often see hawks soaring very near the overlook, wonderful. I would suggest trying those first.

There are some nice overlooks in the Harriman Park near Bear Mountain, about an hour north of Manhattan. A particularly appealing one is 1/4 miles west of the 1777 trail, on a large overlook, south of Bear Mountain.

There are some very beautiful sights in the Catskills. I would suggest getting the AMC hiking book. Would be at the outer range of your desired driving time.

You might also look at the PA trailguides for central PA, near State College, some nice vistas there also, have hiked there a number of times.

Some ideas to get you started. Farther afield, there are stunning vistas along Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, some requiring a hike, some right off the road.

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Bushkill falls is awesome. It's near I80 and 611. Probably 2 hours from you. The Catkills are awesome too, but I have yet to see it for myself.

4. i know im bring this up from the dead but I am in Chester springs. Mostly around here is rolling country side. If you can get around the trees in valley forge park there are some interesting areas. I found State College and the surrounding areas to have some great stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.