Pacific Coast Highway #1 (scanned)

Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
Here's another old Velvia shot (1994) while travelling the PCH with my wife on vacation. Scanned with Nikon Coolscan V ED (fabulous scanner).

N90, 20 2.8D (IIRC - no EXIF :D) - Velvia 50

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Thanks for looking.

Joe
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
15,253
Location
Marysville, WA
We drove that road last just a few years ago. Inspires me to shoot more the next time.

Thanks, love that sky......
 
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
5,921
Location
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Beautiful picture Joe

I can't believe the quality of that scanner. This picture is awesome. I have been on this road as well on vacation over this passed xmas holidays. A very nice scenic road for taking pictures.

Thanks for sharing this winner!

Melissa
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
Retief said:
We drove that road last just a few years ago. Inspires me to shoot more the next time.

Thanks, love that sky......
Thanks Bill. It's worth stopping every so often a taking a few shots. Not many places as pretty for a casual "Sunday drive".
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
Re: Beautiful picture Joe

Catz said:
I can't believe the quality of that scanner. This picture is awesome. I have been on this road as well on vacation over this passed xmas holidays. A very nice scenic road for taking pictures.

Thanks for sharing this winner!

Melissa
Thank you Melissa. :) The scanner is superb. I'll post a sample of how well it deals with scratches on negatives (in a general thread). Better than I ever imagined.
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
2,483
Location
South Florida
Joe Marques said:
Chris101 said:
That's nice Joe. Is it North of Monteray, south of San Francisco?
Thanks Chris. :D You got the location. We were driving from SF to Monterrey and stopped every 30 minutes to shoot. :D

Thanks,

Joe
I did that route a year or so ago. It was a foggy morning. Burned off by early afternoon, but came back a different route. Still, a beautiful drive. I hope to do it with better weather some day.

Nice shot
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
Backdoctor said:
I did that route a year or so ago. It was a foggy morning. Burned off by early afternoon, but came back a different route. Still, a beautiful drive. I hope to do it with better weather some day.

Nice shot
Thanks Harris. I look forward to making that drive again. This time I'm playing Pebble Beach when I get to Monterrey. :D
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
1,133
Location
North Carolina, USA
Joe -

Gotta love those Velvia colors for landscape shots.

This is indeed a nice reminder of the past for me as well -- I remember driving the PCH a couple of times when on business trips back in the late 80s (I worked at Apple at the time and spent a lot of time in Cupertino/San Jose).

Thanks for posting!
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
DavidM said:
Joe -

Gotta love those Velvia colors for landscape shots.

This is indeed a nice reminder of the past for me as well -- I remember driving the PCH a couple of times when on business trips back in the late 80s (I worked at Apple at the time and spent a lot of time in Cupertino/San Jose).

Thanks for posting!
Hi David,

Velvia is sweeeet and I'm glad the D2H is close in my eyes.

Thanks,

Joe
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
609
Location
Ottawa, Ontario
<obligatory cliched joke>What's film?</obligatory cliched joke>

Funny seeing people getting sentimental about something that is about 30 miles up the road from me. I live about 400 yards off Hwy 1 (PCH) in Aptos just north of Monteray. Having said that, it is as spectacular and as varied as everyone's said. It's just hearing it being waxed over in such a way opens your eyes more to how interesting your own backyard can be.

I've often had this theory that most of us live in places that are interesting. However, because we live there we never play tourist there and therefore miss out on enjoying where we live to its maximum potential. A variation on the theme of familiarity builds contempt I guess.

Now having rambled like the lunatic I am, I'd just like to say that is a beautifully rendered image Joe! Superb colors and sharpness.

Neil
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
NeilCam said:
<obligatory cliched joke>What's film?</obligatory cliched joke>

Funny seeing people getting sentimental about something that is about 30 miles up the road from me. I live about 400 yards off Hwy 1 (PCH) in Aptos just north of Monteray. Having said that, it is as spectacular and as varied as everyone's said. It's just hearing it being waxed over in such a way opens your eyes more to how interesting your own backyard can be.

I've often had this theory that most of us live in places that are interesting. However, because we live there we never play tourist there and therefore miss out on enjoying where we live to its maximum potential. A variation on the theme of familiarity builds contempt I guess.

Now having rambled like the lunatic I am, I'd just like to say that is a beautifully rendered image Joe! Superb colors and sharpness.

Neil
I know what you mean Neil and couldn't agree more. I can't find anything to shoot in my backyard but send me away anywhere and I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Thanks for the kind words about the photo.

Regards,

Joe
 
D

D. Kelly

Guest
Excellent shot Joe, and very impressive scanner...makes me kind of long for the film days, Velvia is very hard to top...

We're taking that highway next week from Washington down to the redwoods...I'm planning on lots of stops, especially along the Oregon coast...I'll have to post a few when we get back. Anyway, nice to see you over here, keep posting...

Dennis
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
70
Location
Austin, TX
Hi Joe, RE: scanned image

Hi Joe, I am here too, and I like your scanned image here, very nice. I remember I used to shoot a lot of Velvia through my F5 and now the camera just sits around. I may once again shoot more slide film but I think I want a 6x7 format next time. Well I am glad to be over here, the DPR forum is crazy and no one will look at your photos unless it is from the D2x! I miss seeing your imagery there, but now that I know you are here, I can keep up. Thanks Joe,

Todd
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,475
Location
Live in Ohio but from NJ
D. Kelly said:
Excellent shot Joe, and very impressive scanner...makes me kind of long for the film days, Velvia is very hard to top...

We're taking that highway next week from Washington down to the redwoods...I'm planning on lots of stops, especially along the Oregon coast...I'll have to post a few when we get back. Anyway, nice to see you over here, keep posting...

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words. The scanner is amazing - much better than I imagined. I'm planning to post a comparison showing it's scratch removing capabilities (automatically with Digital Ice).

Glad to see you here as well. Enjoy the trip and take plenty of CF cards.

Joe
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom