Pacific Coast Highway #1 (scanned)

Here's another old Velvia shot (1994) while travelling the PCH with my wife on vacation. Scanned with Nikon Coolscan V ED (fabulous scanner).

N90, 20 2.8D (IIRC - no EXIF :D) - Velvia 50

39442155.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Chris101 said:
That's nice Joe. Is it North of Monteray, south of San Francisco?

Thanks Chris. :D You got the location. We were driving from SF to Monterrey and stopped every 30 minutes to shoot. :D

Thanks,

Joe

We drove that road last just a few years ago. Inspires me to shoot more the next time.

Thanks, love that sky......

Beautiful picture Joe

I can't believe the quality of that scanner. This picture is awesome. I have been on this road as well on vacation over this passed xmas holidays. A very nice scenic road for taking pictures.

Thanks for sharing this winner!

Melissa

greyflash said:
Driven that highway many times, you bring back old memories. Beautiful image and well done scan.

Thanks Gordon. It's quite a drive - far too easy to take your eyes off the road. :)

Retief said:
We drove that road last just a few years ago. Inspires me to shoot more the next time.

Thanks, love that sky......

Thanks Bill. It's worth stopping every so often a taking a few shots. Not many places as pretty for a casual "Sunday drive".

Re: Beautiful picture Joe

Catz said:
I can't believe the quality of that scanner. This picture is awesome. I have been on this road as well on vacation over this passed xmas holidays. A very nice scenic road for taking pictures.

Thanks for sharing this winner!

Melissa

Thank you Melissa. :) The scanner is superb. I'll post a sample of how well it deals with scratches on negatives (in a general thread). Better than I ever imagined.

Joe Marques said:
Chris101 said:
That's nice Joe. Is it North of Monteray, south of San Francisco?

Thanks Chris. :D You got the location. We were driving from SF to Monterrey and stopped every 30 minutes to shoot. :D

Thanks,

Joe
I did that route a year or so ago. It was a foggy morning. Burned off by early afternoon, but came back a different route. Still, a beautiful drive. I hope to do it with better weather some day.

Nice shot

Backdoctor said:
I did that route a year or so ago. It was a foggy morning. Burned off by early afternoon, but came back a different route. Still, a beautiful drive. I hope to do it with better weather some day.

Nice shot

Thanks Harris. I look forward to making that drive again. This time I'm playing Pebble Beach when I get to Monterrey. :D

Joe -

Gotta love those Velvia colors for landscape shots.

This is indeed a nice reminder of the past for me as well -- I remember driving the PCH a couple of times when on business trips back in the late 80s (I worked at Apple at the time and spent a lot of time in Cupertino/San Jose).

Thanks for posting!

daodang said:
Hi Joe,

Glad to see you here. Nice scenic and great work with scanned pcitures.

How's the family?

Regards.

Hi there Dao. Glad you're here too my friend. :D Family is great. All the best to you.

Joe

DavidM said:
Joe -

Gotta love those Velvia colors for landscape shots.

This is indeed a nice reminder of the past for me as well -- I remember driving the PCH a couple of times when on business trips back in the late 80s (I worked at Apple at the time and spent a lot of time in Cupertino/San Jose).

Thanks for posting!

Hi David,

Velvia is sweeeet and I'm glad the D2H is close in my eyes.

Thanks,

Joe

<obligatory cliched joke>What's film?</obligatory cliched joke>

Funny seeing people getting sentimental about something that is about 30 miles up the road from me. I live about 400 yards off Hwy 1 (PCH) in Aptos just north of Monteray. Having said that, it is as spectacular and as varied as everyone's said. It's just hearing it being waxed over in such a way opens your eyes more to how interesting your own backyard can be.

I've often had this theory that most of us live in places that are interesting. However, because we live there we never play tourist there and therefore miss out on enjoying where we live to its maximum potential. A variation on the theme of familiarity builds contempt I guess.

Now having rambled like the lunatic I am, I'd just like to say that is a beautifully rendered image Joe! Superb colors and sharpness.

Neil

NeilCam said:
<obligatory cliched joke>What's film?</obligatory cliched joke>

Funny seeing people getting sentimental about something that is about 30 miles up the road from me. I live about 400 yards off Hwy 1 (PCH) in Aptos just north of Monteray. Having said that, it is as spectacular and as varied as everyone's said. It's just hearing it being waxed over in such a way opens your eyes more to how interesting your own backyard can be.

I've often had this theory that most of us live in places that are interesting. However, because we live there we never play tourist there and therefore miss out on enjoying where we live to its maximum potential. A variation on the theme of familiarity builds contempt I guess.

Now having rambled like the lunatic I am, I'd just like to say that is a beautifully rendered image Joe! Superb colors and sharpness.

Neil

I know what you mean Neil and couldn't agree more. I can't find anything to shoot in my backyard but send me away anywhere and I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Thanks for the kind words about the photo.

Regards,

Joe

D

D. Kelly

Excellent shot Joe, and very impressive scanner...makes me kind of long for the film days, Velvia is very hard to top...

We're taking that highway next week from Washington down to the redwoods...I'm planning on lots of stops, especially along the Oregon coast...I'll have to post a few when we get back. Anyway, nice to see you over here, keep posting...

Dennis

Hi Joe, RE: scanned image

Hi Joe, I am here too, and I like your scanned image here, very nice. I remember I used to shoot a lot of Velvia through my F5 and now the camera just sits around. I may once again shoot more slide film but I think I want a 6x7 format next time. Well I am glad to be over here, the DPR forum is crazy and no one will look at your photos unless it is from the D2x! I miss seeing your imagery there, but now that I know you are here, I can keep up. Thanks Joe,

Todd

D. Kelly said:
Excellent shot Joe, and very impressive scanner...makes me kind of long for the film days, Velvia is very hard to top...

We're taking that highway next week from Washington down to the redwoods...I'm planning on lots of stops, especially along the Oregon coast...I'll have to post a few when we get back. Anyway, nice to see you over here, keep posting...

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words. The scanner is amazing - much better than I imagined. I'm planning to post a comparison showing it's scratch removing capabilities (automatically with Digital Ice).

Glad to see you here as well. Enjoy the trip and take plenty of CF cards.

Joe

Latest threads

Top Bottom