Pacific-slope Flycatcher

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Well sitting in here inside on another very grey rainy day, I thought I would start posting some more of the bird species I shot last September around my creek and pond setup. The first shot was from within my blind using one SB-800 and one SB-600 . The last two shots are without flash and outside of the blind. The bird was in the shade in a small tree/bush nearby the pond. I was able to approach fairly closely and get these last two shots.

Pacific-slope Flycatchers and the Cordilleran Flycatcher were at one time under the species name Western Flycatcher. They were later split into two separate species. I believe the Pacific-slope is generally west of the Rockies, and the Cordilleran east of the Rockies.

The Empidonax flycatchers can be VERY difficult to photograph, as they do not come to feeders, do not generally respond the squeaking or "pisshing", but they do come down to running water for baths and drinks. I think this guy was more just interested in what all the commotion was when all the other birds were splashing and having fun. He never did actually go into the water, but did come down low to have a look. :smile:

D70s with Nikkor 300 f4 & TC-14E II
    ISO 200

Cheers
    Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow, what a wonderful Little Bird.

Great to be able to watch the behavior of them as well.

Beautiful images.

3. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

You can even see the little whiskers at the base of the beak. Superb as always Tim.

I have a huge rock in my backyard that I turned into a waterfall, the birds love it. This year I intend to add a small stream at the base of it and hopefully be able to photograph some of the warblers on spring migration when they are in the most colourful plumage.

4. More great shots Tim. Keep up the great work.
    Pete

5. Wonderful shots Tim. Many years ago, I had a job finding Western Flycatcher nests (berfore the species split) and then characterizing the nesting habitat (if the taxpayers only knew).

6. Your spoiling us Tim, those are great especially that first one.

Martin

7. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Wow, beautiful shots.

8. That will be cool Mike. Having the sound of the running water will really help to attract them. I can't wait for this spring to do the same. The only problem with the spring migration versus the fall migration, is that there is water everywhere in spring, so they are not as easily attracted. But I'm sure we will still catch some beauties. :smile: My goal is to get the male Townsend's Warbler. I came close last fall, but only got the back of his head.

Cheers
    Tim

9. Thanks Martin. It means a lot to me that you noticed and liked that image. Of the Thousands of images I have taken over the years, I would say that the first shot is one of my top ten favourites.

Cheers
    Tim

10. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    You are making me very jelous.. i really enjoy looking at your pictures.. they are great as always

Tim

11. These are just as nice as all the others you've posted.
    Do you have a photo of your setup/location/blind?

Thanks for sharing,
    Don

12. Just Gorgeous .. fantastic job Tim, these look like such cool birds

13. Raindog

Raindog

Nov 26, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    Fantastic, those little guys are tough to shoot.

14. Well, these are great images nice a sharp of a birdie i have never seen before...

15. Thanks all for your comments, which are greatly appreciated. :smile:

t

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Tim. I like them both, and as always, I enjoy your narratives that accompany your shots. Keep them coming. :smile:

17. VERY nice Tim!
    Dave