Packing Heat

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Tomerrifc, May 2, 2007.

1. I think I've found the team I'm going to shoot this season. The team is Lane Tech who play their home games not too far from where we live. Their home field is being repaired so they are playing at a local park that I stumbled upon last weekend. This kid #34 has some kind of arm. He smoked the few guys I saw him face. I got to the game late as they start at 4:30 pm which is the same time I get off work a few miles away. I was lucky and caught the last couple innings.

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Good one...
    I like the angle you took...great shot!!

3. Thanks Jeff, this is a very intense kid that I was hoping to get a decent shot of.

4. You nailed the exposure. Kid is in the shade, outfield still in sunlight. And you didn't overexpose the outfield. Great shot! I'm green with envy.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, now that is a nice shot. The image has it all and what great bokeh. You definately nailed that shot Ty....excellant.

6. Yeah, super angle on the shot, Ty. Looks like he's bearing down right on top of you. Great bokeh on the shot too.

7. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    I love it. What a great shot. You can tell he's really driving the pitch with his legs by how far he's stepping toward home. His left thigh is parallel to the mound and right knee is almost touching it! I bet he's got a nice high leg kick too.

If possible, a burst angled from the 3rd base side could be one that would really highlight his impressive mechanics.

8. Ty, this is a great shot. Non-photographers will look at shots like these and just think they are nice. Photo geeks like us really appreciate the skill involve in properly exposing this shot. You nailed it!!

9. Woo Hoo! That's my alma mater. I graduated in June 1960 (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away!). In those days it was an all boy school of about 5000 students. During my freshman year it was not uncommon to have fist fights in the halls. Lane would usually win a lion's share of the public school city championships because of the large pool to draw from. My senior year the front line of the football team averaged 210# end to end and 232# tackle to tackle (incredible back then). The city Championship between the publlic schools (Lane Tech) and the Catholic Champion was held at Soldier's Field and had an attendance of over 104,000. A great time to be a teen ager!

Thanks for bringing back some pleasant memories.

Rich

10. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice intensity --youi caught it well

11. Great shot Ty

12. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Excellent shot!

13. Hey Jim, thanks so much for looking and taking the time to comment. You are much too kind. It was pure luck.

Thanks Frank, I guess I get lucky every now and then. :smile:

Hey Peter, thanks a bunch. This angle has become my signature for the most part. I always go after the pitcher as one of the first things I do when I get to the field. Thanks for looking.

Hey Chris, thanks so much for looking. I love your idea about the angle from 3rd base. I have shot from that side of the field but not a whole lot of the pitchers. I'll give it a shot next time out.

Here's that leg kick, you were right, he gets it way up there.

Hey Mitch, thanks a bunch. I agree that the way we view images is indeed different form how normal people look at them. I have become so sick with it that I look at images and start to try and figure out the shooters angle and how I might be able to utilize their approach. There is just so much to learn and even more in remembering to apply it to situations.

Hey Rich, WOW! I am so glad that this image brings back fond memories for you. That is really cool. Jeez 1960, I was in diapers. :smile: When I get a chance I'm going to go over and shoot an image of the school for you.

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Thanks Eric, much appreciated.

Thanks Seth, much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

14. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

Great action, you nailed it. I'm having alot of fun trying my own hand at baseball, the only thing I see that you could improve upon is exposure, since the outfield is so bright, your metering to balance that and the pitcher which leaves your subject about a whole stop underexposed. You're gonna have to blow the bg to get him properly exposed, but it'll be well worth it.

15. Thanks for looking. I'm actually quite pleased with the results.

16. Just great only thing I woudl offer is to clone out the shortstop from the shot his blwn pants keep pulling my eye towards it but the color sharpness and intesity is just perfect

17. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

did you shoot through the fence ? ... it looks GREAT man

18. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

I would be too, seems youre a natural with the timing. These parks can be a hassle with metering and shade, and sun, it's all a headache haha.

19. Hey Mike, I will definitely take out the shortstop for the final image to post. Thanks so much for looking and your suggestion.

Hey topher, yes sir, right through the fence. I have been doing it since I started shooting. I remember when I first started posting here how some guys would say how much they didn't like it and now everybody is doing it. I am so glad that you like it. Thanks for looking.

Thanks again, and you are so right about the metering. You go one way you're doomed with underexposure you go the other way you've blown the highlights. What's a brother to do???? I prefer underexposing to blown anything. :smile:

20. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

If you would, adjust the exposure so that your subject is properly exposed, and post that for comparison. This shot is a good bit too dark to be shown.