Padlock on Images

I am trying to use the Nikon software for the first time and I have encountered a problem that I can't find an answer for in the Help items.

I took some test shots and transferred them to the Pictures folder on my computer using the Nikon Transfer utility and that seemed to work fine. I opened the file in View and everything still seemed okay but when I tried to open the file in Capture to convert the RAW image it said it could not open the file. After doing some checking I discovered that the images in the Nikon folder in the Pictures folder all had a little padlock in the lower left corner.

Reading the Help documents I saw something pertaining to "Protect Files". I unchecked that but it did not remove the lock. Then thinking I must have somehow locked the images within the camera I tried importing the same shots into LR and it worked just fine, no lock.

Does anyone have any clue what I am screwing up? I would like to try and use the Nikon software and see how it compares to Adobe but I seem to be stuck at the beginning. :redface:

Wild guess:

Adobe will not read the in-camera settings such as Picture Controls, Sharpening etc.

Is it possible that the same thing applies to images locked in camera?

Nope, not that - just tried it.

Just looked at FILE ATTRIBUTES in VIEW NX help and there is no PADLOCK only the KEY symbol which is set in camera.

Which version of NX - how old? Have you tried BROWSING from WITHIN NX2 - open NX2 first and BROWSE?

DG

The version of Capture is 2.0.0 the version of View is 1.4.0.

I did try to browse from within Capture but got the same "Cannot load image" message.

I took a couple more shots with the D300s paying close attention to the lock within the camera but it did it again.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It has got to be something being doing in the Nikon Transfer program. As I said, I can import the same image off the card into LR and there is no lock.

Thanks for any help. I am really banging my head against the wall.

NX2.0.0 is probably Pre - D300.

If you have the full version of NX2.0.0 you can probably upgrade to NX2.2.6 for free?

You're having the same symptoms as you would get if you tried to load the file into ACR Version 1.

DG

Cancel the above post - I just opened a D300 NEF in NX1.3.3 so that theory didn't work!!

Do you have a card reader? Try importing into NX2 direct from the card reader?

DG

I was using the software that came with the camera. The software update tab said there were not any updates available but when I checked the Nikon site there were, in fact, updates. However, that did not solve the problem.

This is what I am still getting.

5515297676_70e87601d0_m.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lock1 by rzarbo, on Flickr

I will try a different card reader and let you know.

I have finally figured out the problem but can I just say at this point that I hate computers!

Mike Buckley, thank you for that flickr link. That was not the solution but it did lead me, eventually, to the problem.

The problem it seems is a "Sharing" issue. For some reason these Nikon files, and only these files, are importing into the computer as to be shared with "Nobody". If I click on the "Share" button it shows the padlock next to the word "Nobody" and if I click on "Homegroup (read/write) the little lock disappears. I was able to open the image in Capture just fine.

Now I have to figure out why these files are coming in with that sharing setting. As I said before, I can import them off the card and into LR without a problem so it is something in the Nikon Transfer settings that I don't have correctly checked or unchecked or whatever.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. It is very nice to have some place to go for that. :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom