Critique Pages -- Second Set of Images Added

I made these images as a set.

Setup
The tabletop (not displayed in the second photo) is black foam core and the background is black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp was in the left front area.

EDIT: A second set of three images has been added to Post #9.

Photo #1
Mike 2020-07-04--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2020-07-04--004-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-07-04--007-S.jpg

Last edited:
This is wonderful, Mike!
Especially for a book lover.

Have you considered a slight amber toning to the pages?
I know you would lose the clear black / white opposite but you might gain a look of a more vintage book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A second set using a very similar lighting setup but with a small continuous-light lamp added to the right side.

Photo #4
Mike 2020-07-05--004-S.jpg

Photo #5
(The four dark, horizontal items are page points that mark pages.)
Mike 2020-07-05--001-S.jpg

Photo #6
Mike 2020-07-05--007-S.jpg

Last edited:
What type of book is this, may I ask? No print on any of the pages, obvious on the last couple of images. Certainly could be hanging in the libraries, maybe these would help people actually appreciate a nice heavy, well bound book.
Gary

Such a nice compliment, Gary. Thank you!

What type of book is this
Masterpieces of Photography from the George Eastman House Collections published by Abbeyville Press

About 11" x 13" and about 450 pages. Each page on the right side displays a photo and the corresponding page on the left side provides information about the photo and the photographer.

Many of the vintage reproductions are printed at the same size as the negative, which leaves a lot of margin around the smaller photos. Large margins on the left page also occur when a relatively small amount of text is displayed. When making some of the photos, I made a point of finding pages that had large margins so I could photograph the pages absent of printed material.

Last edited:
about #5, isn't that what was referred to as "bookmarks" in the days before the internet
Good one! Seriously, I always thought of bookmarks used in physical books as being something rather large and flat that we inserted in between pages to know the place in the book where we left off during our most recent reading session. The company that makes these much smaller devices used to call them page points but now calls them page nibs:
https://www.levenger.com/reading-1140/reading-accessories-23037/copper-page-nibs-17232.aspx

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom