Paint Bank, Virginia

Paint Bank is a tiny crossroad on the extreme western side of Virginia. There are only a half dozen or so houses, but it does have a couple of interesting structures.

1. The General Store

D75_0905-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. The barbecue station for the "Swinging Bridge" restaurant

D75_0906-XL.jpg

3. The Swinging Bridge restaurant

D75_0907-XL.jpg

4. the old railroad depot has been converted into a hotel

D75_0916-XL.jpg

My wife and I shared a buffalo barbecue sandwich in the Swinging Bridge restaurant. It was pretty good, but not worth a trip.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Mike. There is a large farming operation there called Hollow Hill Farm. They have over 400 American bison in addition to cattle. The general Store, restaurant, and hotel are all part of the farm operation.

Looks like a very pretty little town. I love the red color of the general store! Too bad the sandwich wasn’t worth the trip. Your photos really show the beauty of the old buildings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nicely photographed, Jim!
Thanks, Karen. Unfortunately we were there during the harsh light of midday as you see.

Looks like a very pretty little town. I love the red color of the general store! Too bad the sandwich wasn’t worth the trip. Your photos really show the beauty of the old buildings.
Thanks, Terri.

For such a small town they seem to have done a good job preserving these structures. Nice pictures Jim.
I think they are trying to turn it into a tourist destination, but there is really not much to see. We went because someone had raved about the late summer wildflowers along the road. There was one quite pretty display.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom