Paintball Tournament (NEC - Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by NikonConvert, Sep 12, 2005.

1. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    I was lucky enough to find out about and go to the First Paintball Tournament in the UK (as far as I know). It was really good fun and free to get in (that's a first for any show I've been to at the NEC). Being in to Paintball myself probably helped as I was happy to go around the stalls most of the day oggling at expensive equipment =).

Fortunately though I did manage to get some photos of a game, unfortunately it was from behind a net. I know my camera was safer there but I would have risked it for the quality photo opertunity. Being behind the fence made all the images look slightly fuzzy with a severe lack of contrast. I have tried to compensate for that in PS but not all images are quite the same. Anyway here they are, comments welcomed =)

Getting ready and planning:
    42737543_d31854f9db_o.
    And on with the killing...
    42737560_7d91583c47_o.

42737594_d9b6bee64b_o.

42737622_2406be8588_o.

42737607_498843e4a0_o.

42737575_ad91bafe66_o.

42737552_dee1496283_o.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Cool shots! I like the color.

3. Cool photos Edd... but this ain't my PB playing style...
    When I played (back in 1990) we used to go to mountains and play for hours. All in camo suits, unlimited PBs and more judges than players...
    Street fighting is nothing compared to an ambush game... but then again... it's only my PoV (hehe)

4. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Bang ! Gotcha !

This stuff is so neat to compete in.

I bet you cant wait until the next one :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  5. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Nice photos NC and I can promise you, you were a lot safer behind the nets. :tongue: I played professionaly for several years with Team Strange (my last year was 1998, ironically when we had our house built :biggrin:) and back then we thought shooting approx. 9 balls a second was fast. The markers you see in your photos are capable of 22 balls a sec. or faster, though by tournament rules they have to adjust them to JUST 15 or 16 balls per sec. depending on the tournament series.

If you want to get better photos your best bet is to hook up with one of the local teams and see if you can go out with them during practices, especially when they are practicing another team. While on the field get yourself one of those rain protectors for your camera or make your own, just try to cover as much of your lens and front of your camera as possible. Also put an inexpensive filter on the front of your lens just incase you take a direct hit.

As you state, you are into paintball so you know the paintballs don't really hurt all that much, BUT, do yourself a favor and wear some protection. Though the players try to make themselves aware of where you are on the field some times mishaps creep in :biggrin: I once found myself apologizing to a photographer after he walked in front of my bunker just as three opposing players charged my position... luckily he was wearing a cup :eek:

I hope you get an opportunity to shoot some paintball from on the field. While paintball was my first love and not as expensive as photography, the one week off work per month to be on the road for tourneys really added. I still get out to watch my old teammates play and photo them... but it often leads to them getting a marker back in my hands and on the receiving end of some paint :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  6. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    I must admit this isn't my kind of paintball either. Ideally I'd like it as close to reality as possible, the one the army use with blanks and lasers would be for me but that's just not possible =(.

I like the look of the PB guns about as much as people who cheat at the game by wiping the paint off (who should have their trigger fingers cut off by the way) because they make the game pointless. I've thought about getting my own gun but it seems a bit unfair in itself because you'll have an advantage.

Thanks JMartin for all your advice, sounds very useful. Very impressed that you played pro paintball, that's ace :wink: . I like the idea about the rain mac for the camera, I hadn't thought of that... genius =). There were guys at this tournament that were on the other side of the mesh taking photos and they had no protection (for the cameras, they had masks).

7. Try using the LAB color gamut.

Rich

8. splat

Great shots give the conditions. But I was hoping for at least one "splat-right-in-the-kisser" shot :eek:

9. That's funny! When I was a kid we used to do this with BB guns... protective clothing? How about jeans and a p-coat?

How did we ever survive?

Woody