Painted Buntings

We are fortunate in that Painted Buntings pass through our area in both the spring & fall. There are a few still here, but they seem to be in decreasing numbers which is typical.

We saw these in late May. These shots provide an interesting comparison. My wife was was riding in the back seat, directly behind me but she she had a 1.4xTC on her D500 & 500PF where as I did not have a TC. Same bird, same time, same location - just with & w/o TC.

The males are so beautiful, I just love photographing them.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few more from the same stop.

The 2nd one isn't that sharp, but it's a fun shot. I was focused on the perched bird and all of a sudden the fly / bee just appeared. I didn't have enough SS to get it sharp, but isn't that the way it usually goes. hahaha....

Good images of a pretty bird. The males tend to be very shy so getting this out in the open is a real bonus.

Good images of a pretty bird. The males tend to be very shy so getting this out in the open is a real bonus.
Thank you, Allan. I agree 100%. One of the males actually almost walked under our car will we were shooting out the drivers sides windows. Never seen that carefree behavior before.

Everybody’s #1 target
Nice work
Many thanks, Randy. Much appreciated.

Allan's reply above made me stop & think. We really haven't seen many females this year. Wifey got this one a month or so ago and we saw a couple last Saturday but were not able to photograph them.

Very nice work. I felt fortunate to have an indigo bunting stop by for a few days, but these are incredible.
That is very kind Mike. I appreciate it.

we typically get some Indigos too, but we didn’t see many this year.

Wait, we haven’t been out much this year. That’s probably why. Lol.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Really a special set of images! Painted buntings are STILL on my bucket list. I had scheduled a trip to Texas this spring, but.......... Maybe next year............

We are fortunate in that Painted Buntings pass through our area in both the spring & fall. There are a few still here, but they seem to be in decreasing numbers which is typical.

We saw these in late May. These shots provide an interesting comparison. My wife was was riding in the back seat, directly behind me but she she had a 1.4xTC on her D500 & 500PF where as I did not have a TC. Same bird, same time, same location - just with & w/o TC.

The males are so beautiful, I just love photographing them.

View attachment 1663786
View attachment 1663787

View attachment 1663788
View attachment 1663789
Great shots, Phil! One of my all-time favorites; back in my Kansas days, I sometimes found them, but was never able to photograph them as well as you've done here. I've heard the male described as what a child in kindergarten would imagine a bird might look like if given a piece of paper and a box of crayons!:D

I just noticed the bee, awesome timing
Thanks Randy. I was actually focused on the Bunting (in the VF), and then all of a sudden he began moving his head around and then the fly/bee appeared in the frame. Had I not already been locked on the bird, that shot would have never happened. Sadly, it was early with limited light so I really wasn’t prepared for any sort of action. lol.

Really a special set of images! Painted buntings are STILL on my bucket list. I had scheduled a trip to Texas this spring, but.......... Maybe next year............
Thank you Karen. That is very kind. We typically see them in the fall & spring. There are some spots along the TX coast that are terrific for all sorts of warblers and buntings in early spring.
I believe they are in southern FL, just about year-round in some places.

Great shots, Phil! One of my all-time favorites; back in my Kansas days, I sometimes found them, but was never able to photograph them as well as you've done here. I've heard the male described as what a child in kindergarten would imagine a bird might look like if given a piece of paper and a box of crayons!
Thanks Eric. Much appreciated. That is an excellent description. In the right light, they almost seem to glow. I often wonder how such color affects their ability to evade predators.

Man those are some beautiful birds. Nice set.
Thanks Dan. These are some of our favorites to photograph.

Real excellent series, especially the Bee shot,amazing birds! I haven't seen one in 10 years or so, thanks for the treat
Thank Andreas. I appreciate the kind words. The bee shot was a total stroke of luck. I guess that one shows that we “all” get lucky sometimes. :)

Wow...what a beautiful bird..and equally beautifully captured..Nicely done.
Thank you Bob, much appreciated.
As you mentioned in the CWW thread, the 500PF is a wonderful piece of glass. :)

Last edited:
Here's a couple from Green Cay Wetlands in So FL, late last year. Anyone that's visited Green Cay will recognize this location.

I had picked up a Z50 the day they were released and the following day, we left for this trip. What better way to try new gear. ;) I did discover that the Baby Z performs well at elevate ISO's on the trip.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom