Painting with light with colour

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Nov 13, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Been using pWL for a while now but had not realised the difference that can be made using colour in the PWL process.

Here is a before and after.

Any comments, advice and help always appreciated.

Many thanks

Ray

Original

[​IMG]

PWL and colour

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Ray,

Yeah there alot of tricks to PWL.. Found out you can use that ol' paint brush just in all kinds of ways. Sharpen, blur, smudge color soft light hard light vivid light all while in PWL action. To cool. You have mastered this stuff like Chip.
    I stumbled across it one day by mistake. lol
    I am still not very creative with it though.

3. Another interesting use of painting with light, Ray. I still have a lot of questions about this technique. Do you have any recommendations about how to pick the color, opacity and brush size to use when you are painting? What did you do for the orange trees in the background of this image, for example?

Learning little by little!

Warmest regards,

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Virginia

If only I was like Chip - but thanks for the compliment!

With PWL I experiment. I dont accept the limitations that some seem to impose on the degree of exposure - I sometimes use higher levels that the sometimes stated 5-15%...sometimes I use up to 40%

For those trees I painted with a brown brush for painting shadows. I cant remeber the exposure but think that it was not high in this case - less than 10%.

I tend to PWL at 100% opacity and then reduce if needed.

You can also create lots of PWL layers so that if one fouls up, you can just get rid without affecting good work that you have already done.

Brush size is again by experiment - however I do tend to use a soft brush.

Sometimes I get brushes to the size of specific areas I want to paint and then move onto another size for other parts - all by trial and error or personal choice.

Now I am not sure how helpful that is Virginia because I really do seem to "do my own thing" and hopefully come out ok.

If that is not helpful then I will log my next PWL workflow (think PS will do that for me automatically in word) and post to you - if that helps.

The real answer is that we could work together but unfortunately there is a big pond between us!!

Very best wishes
    Ray

5. Hi, Ray

Thanks for the tips. Where do you call home?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Home

Hi Virginia

I live in the United Kingdom, in Cumbria.

The town is Barrow in Furness and it was originaly a very prosperous shipbuilding town. The shipyard had 15000 workers, now less than 3,000.

We built the nuclear submarines for the Government.

Half an hour awayu is the Lake district and which is stunning.

Difficult for me to get shots though because I work very long hours and tend to spend weekends with Ann, my wife and Maria, daughter.

Today for exampole was stunningly beautiful and I got only 3/4 shots as time was with maria, who is only 5. I spend what spare time I have with her as she has had cancer and recovered from the worst possible prognosis. Doing really great now thoug after some horrible surgery and chemo.

So, priorities come first.

I think you are over in the USA?....so a bit of a gap between us!

I am 57 years old and work for myself.....therefore always busy.

So that's where I live and a little bout me.................

Very best wishes

Ray

7. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Reworked

Hi

Following some helpful suggestions in another forum I have reworked to selectively reduce contrast and change the sky.

Is this an improvement please.

All the best

Ray[​IMG]

8. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Definitely a better sky Ray

9. Hi, Ray. Thanks for telling us about you and your family. It must be very difficult dealing with a child so young with cancer. From your note I hope this means that Maria's treatment is going better than you hoped for. I understand why you want to spend as much time with her as you can. Even without her illness, kids grow up fast.

I live State side in a small town on the San Francico Peninsula called Portola Valley and am also self-employed. My family is originally, way back in the 1600's I'm told, from a small village in Yorkshire called Grinton (near Reeth).

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. I found Barrow in Furness on Google Earth! Can you see me? :smile: I am waving to you!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awwww Ray that is lovely with the different sky.
    Perfect.

Now print and hang :>)))))

11. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thank you Gale

Hi Gale

The benefit is that sometimes when you take and process a shot you miss the obvious until it is pointed out.

Must admit when I look at the orignal again sky it is wrong.

Thank you again for your help (as always)

Very best wishes

Ray

12. Beautiful work, as usual Ray...:smile:

13. Ron in B.C.

Ron in B.C. Guest

Hi Ray,
    Looks awesome! How did you replace the sky so it is behind all the tree branches.
    Ron

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Ron

Thank you very much Ron -your kind comments are appreciated.

To get the sky behind the trees I used Rusell Browns advanced masking techniques.

The best way to learn it or underdstand how it works is a google search of that title or go to Russell Browns site.

He has a free video download.

Effectively you create a mask from the contrast in the object - it uses the actual object to make the mask.

Can be very effective and seems to have worked in this case.

Not thje sort of thing I can explain in writing - do watch the video - Rusell brown is incredible.

If you cant find it let me know and I will send it to you.

Once again , many thanks

All the best

Ray

15. Ron in B.C.

Ron in B.C. Guest

Thanks much Ray.

Ron