Palatki Indian Ruins near Sedona

We got reservations to see the Palatki Indian Ruins near Sedona. The dwellings were occupied around 1100-1200 A.D.

All shot with the D600 and Tokina 17-35 f4 lens.

You had to stand very close to the ruins, hence a lot of wide angle distortion. Also, you only got to be here a few minutes because of the reservation schedule. It's all free and fun by the forest service, but very popular. The dynamic range of the D600 really helped in some of the high contrast areas. I'm amazed how much detail you can bring back in post processing.

p1561724620.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 1180570

View attachment 1180571

The paintings were very interesting. They cover a huge timespan, from as far back as 5000 years. The lady giving us the tour of the paintings was great. She told us that they think that this spot had been a ceremonial area for centuries. The overhanging rock made a natural sound amplification system so people could have been down below listening to a religious leader doing some sort of speech or ceremony. We could spend as much time looking at the paintings as we wanted.

View attachment 1180572

The paintings below were originally white. They roasted Agave here and the smoke turned the paintings black. They look very beautiful with all the color.

View attachment 1180573

The woman doing the lecture was fantastic. She had been there for five months and was still enthusiastic. She was almost ready to go home to (if I remember correctly) Oregon or possibly Washington for the summer to see her grandkids.

View attachment 1180574

great photos of a fascinating place, Terri
love the composition of the 3rd,
and the paintings captured in th 5th

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Those are marvelous, Terri. This is something I'd like to see. I'm really taken by the second to last one, where the smoke from the agave turned the pictures black; well done!

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Great set Terri. And thanks for the story!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom