Palisades Creek

One of our favorite nearby hikes is Palisades Creek Trail. It's very popular. We got up at 5 a.m., got ready, drove there and were on the trail by 7:15. We usually go in the fall so a midsummer hike was a different experience for us. The lush landscape and wildflowers made for a very enjoyable hike. Feeling a little stiff and sore tonight, though. It was a blue sky day so the lighting was difficult in the sunny areas. I was disappointed. I thought I had packed my 17-30 f4 lens in my bag, but when I opened it I found I had grabbed the 50 f1.8 S lens by mistake. Had to pack light because of my back. I did not carry a tripod, but had a major success because I was able to carry my camera and two extra lenses.

I have no idea what this plant is. My Idaho wildflower app wasn't any help. I don't think I've seen it before.
_DSC1602.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thistle.
_DSC1740.jpg

We knew we couldn't make it to the Palisades Lakes, so this rock was our goal. It was a nice place to sit and relax with a bottle of water for a little while.
_DSC1734-HDR.jpg

Loved this shady forest area with all the ground vegetation. Living in a desert, these green landscapes are so loved by us.
_DSC1714.jpg

Wild Rose
_DSC1684.jpg

The beautiful creek.
_DSC1678.jpg

Indian Paintbrush
_DSC1672.jpg

Clover
_DSC1646.jpg

Thorny Berry Plant
_DSC1635.jpg

Pretty little waterfall

_DSC1628.jpg

Bluebell
_DSC1615.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a stunningly gorgeous place. I have never been there.
It really is, Nick. We usually make it there every year. Sometimes you can see mountain goats. It was a little too crowded for me today. Had to keep getting off the trail for people to pass. But we were able to do a good job social distancing.

Lovely set. All very enjoyable but the last one is especially enjoyable. It's a great example of using the IBIS at a slow shutter speed to get the milky look while hand holding the camera, a possibility I had not thought about in the short time I've had the Z6.
Thank you. You should try it and see how long you can hold it without shake. Today the wind was the biggest problem with photographing the flowers. I had to keep the shutter pretty fast.
That shot of the creek is so well done.
Thanks, Nick. That one took some post processing work.

I actually meant to reference the waterfall shot, which is the next to last photo, not the last one. Handheld at 1/6 second for the milky effect. Well done!
I knew what you meant! Thanks Mike! It’s pretty neat to be able to do that. It’s not perfectly sharp but better than it getting a shot at all.

Hi Terri. I thought exactly the same thing as Mike when I saw the waterfall shot. I haven't seen the exif, but I knew you needed a slow shutter speed for the milky look and you didn't have a tripod. So, congrats.

Also lovely set. I can feel the freshness of an early morning.

Hi Terri. I thought exactly the same thing as Mike when I saw the waterfall shot. I haven't seen the exif, but I knew you needed a slow shutter speed for the milky look and you didn't have a tripod. So, congrats.

Also lovely set. I can feel the freshness of an early morning.
It's a fun way to be able to use the Z6's IBIS. I have to take lots of shots to get one in fairly decent focus.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom