1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Palouse, by Palouse (updated)

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Palouse, Jul 9, 2018.

1. My favorites are #3 and #5!

2. Nice work Nick. Actually really like 2 & 3. Shooting in b&w mode is great way to start seeing in black and white. When I worked in 4x5 I used a viewing filter that de-emphasizes the color and approximates the tonal values of a b&w image. Keep at it.

3. Thanks John. I wish I'd started this years ago. It's fun and informative. Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your pictures.

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Great teaching thread, keep it up folks, and thanks Nick!

5. Beautiful set Nick. My favs are #1,#2 and #3. Mike's suggestion might also work for #1 as the FG looks too dark .I would also remove the posts with PP in #2.

6. Thanks for the comments Binnur. This has been, and remains a fun learning experience. I too thought about the posts in #2 but decided I like the shot as is. I'm not averse to having a human presence in my landscape shots and these are somewhat reminiscent of goalposts for the sun :) 
    I did start with a lighter foreground for #1 but that made the top of Steptoe Butte (Back ground) less obvious.

7. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Nick, could you please post at least one or two of these images in color to be able to compare them?

8. Here you are Steve (B&W #s in parentheses).

1 (2)

MOON17_2_DxO.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 (4)
    MOON26_2_DxO.jpg

3 (5)
    MOON33_DxO.jpg

9. Actually , color images are very nice too. Very nice color contrast between the yellows and the other colors in the images.

10. Agreed. But the B&W conversions were very educational, since I was working from decent originals, rather than badly exposed ones, as I had in my earlier attempts.

11. Nice set and I also like the color versions. You are definitely getting the hang of this whole B&W thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.