1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Palouse Prairie

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Palouse, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Here are three from February 2010 that got downloaded and forgotten! Found 'em today and thought they looked best in B&W. It was a dark and stormy evening so I tried to retain that look. The sky was a deep purple and the ground was rather dull. All 3 with the Nikon 17-55.

1. A "road" to somewhere.
    Pal56_DxO.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Steptoe Butte, WA in the distance.
    Pal57_DxO.jpg

3. Another view of the Steptoe viewshed.
    Pal52_DxO.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Jeff1

Jeff1

Mar 26, 2017
    Ferndale, WA
    Jeff
    Nice series. I like the way the road leads you into the shot on the first one, and I think it has the best looking sky between the three.

3. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Really like the first pic. The impressions in the grass lead your eye right into the pic. Very nice effect.

4. Thanks Jeff and Dudley. Leading lines are powerful elements of a picture.

5. It's not just the leading lines in the first photo; it's also the detail revealed in the dark tones, the millions of transitions from dark to light tones and vice versa, the light that "pulls" the leading lines toward it, etc., etc. I could stare at this photo for a long time, constantly finding something new in it that prevents me from becoming bored.

By the way, it would also work well as an 8 x 10 format.

6. Thanks Mike. I must admit I like it too. All 3 could be improved by some very judicious cropping.

7. You've captured and created an ominous mood in these, Nick. #1 & #2 stand out for me - well done.

8. Thanks kindly Eric. Ominous they are.

9. Beautifully captured and processed, Nick!
    Wonderful scenery and light!

Luckily you re-discovered these.

10. Thanks Bart.
    Yeah, lucky is right. It had been a wet and cold day, and I was bored. These were all done in DXO-PL2, with no help from Nik Silver Efex.

11. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Like number 2 also but on number 3 in Lightroom might have used the graident filter (not sure if right term) to lighten up the bottom half a bit.
    Very nice

12. You are right. I did use a gradient (DXO) on 2 and 3, but used a light touch since it wasn't a particularly interesting foreground.

13. I have always preferred DxO FilmPack over the integrated version but there I was missing the u-point tool from Silver Efex.
    Your remark made me realize I should look into the use of the integrated FilmPack functions again now that PL also offers the u-point tool.
    Great tip, Nick!

14. Someday I will have to try them all on the same image and compare. Maybe even throw in Nikon Capture NXD. Though I'm sure it will end with "which one of your kids do you like best?"

15. The foreground on #3 looks very very dark on my screen but #1 is a definite winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thanks Dayo. Yes, it is dark, on purpose, since it is a rather distracting area. I guess I could crop some of it.

17. The thanks are due to you actually. It prompted me to re calibrate my monitor just to make sure!

18. :D :D 

19. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    Quality work here, Nick.

20. Very nice as all have said. That 17-55 is a great lens, wish I had kept mine:( . Same with the 18-105:( :( :( .
    (Although both were DX.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.