Palouse Prairie

Here are three from February 2010 that got downloaded and forgotten! Found 'em today and thought they looked best in B&W. It was a dark and stormy evening so I tried to retain that look. The sky was a deep purple and the ground was rather dull. All 3 with the Nikon 17-55.

1. A "road" to somewhere.
Pal56_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Steptoe Butte, WA in the distance.
Pal57_DxO.jpg

3. Another view of the Steptoe viewshed.
Pal52_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Jeff
Nice series. I like the way the road leads you into the shot on the first one, and I think it has the best looking sky between the three.

Really like the first pic. The impressions in the grass lead your eye right into the pic. Very nice effect.

It's not just the leading lines in the first photo; it's also the detail revealed in the dark tones, the millions of transitions from dark to light tones and vice versa, the light that "pulls" the leading lines toward it, etc., etc. I could stare at this photo for a long time, constantly finding something new in it that prevents me from becoming bored.

By the way, it would also work well as an 8 x 10 format.

Beautifully captured and processed, Nick!
Wonderful scenery and light!

Luckily you re-discovered these.

Like number 2 also but on number 3 in Lightroom might have used the graident filter (not sure if right term) to lighten up the bottom half a bit.
Very nice

Thanks Bart.
Yeah, lucky is right. It had been a wet and cold day, and I was bored. These were all done in DXO-PL2, with no help from Nik Silver Efex.
I have always preferred DxO FilmPack over the integrated version but there I was missing the u-point tool from Silver Efex.
Your remark made me realize I should look into the use of the integrated FilmPack functions again now that PL also offers the u-point tool.
Great tip, Nick!

I have always preferred DxO FilmPack over the integrated version but there I was missing the u-point tool from Silver Efex.
Your remark made me realize I should look into the use of the integrated FilmPack functions again now that PL also offers the u-point tool.
Great tip, Nick!
Someday I will have to try them all on the same image and compare. Maybe even throw in Nikon Capture NXD. Though I'm sure it will end with "which one of your kids do you like best?"

Very nice as all have said. That 17-55 is a great lens, wish I had kept mine:(. Same with the 18-105:(:(:(.
(Although both were DX.)

Latest threads

Top Bottom