Pan and Zoom (1st pic Motocross, add your own!)

Ok I always loved the Pan and zoom technique, probably because getting a good shot while doing it is almost impossible! So when you do get one its like an amazing fluke!

Post pictures you have while using this advanced technique (I know a lot of you shoot primes but its worth it to have a zoom just so you can try these!)
Heres mine from yesterday, I was a little too far away, but I kind of like how the wider view gives the track more depth, Its a tradeoff..

rider510_02.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's a neat effect, I wonder if cropping a bit tighter might improve the appeal? As is, it is pretty darned neat and I'll have to give it a try.

Great shot!

here's a scanned pic of one my favorite pan/zoom pics from the OLD days. :wink:

cross5.jpg

it was easier to do that trick with the old push/pull zooms, than the current twist zooms. :biggrin:

Great shot!

here's a scanned pic of one my favorite pan/zoom pics from the OLD days. :wink:

cross5.jpg

it was easier to do that trick with the old push/pull zooms, than the current twist zooms. :biggrin:

I have a 80-200 push pull zoom, I wonder if I should try that one day.
Good on keeping the rider's helmet in focus, Its very very difficult to keep your subject sharp!

C

Chris Pierce

That is really cool! almost looks 3d, he is jumping right out of the picture :)

Wow lexiticus....almost induced a little vertigo when looking at it for the first time. Excellent shot and very cool technique. Did you place your focus on continuous to do that?
Scott

Wow lexiticus....almost induced a little vertigo when looking at it for the first time. Excellent shot and very cool technique. Did you place your focus on continuous to do that?
Scott

No Just AF-s, the camera seems to do a pretty decent job adjusting focus inbetween continuous shots so I never found a use for AF-c. I just realized though that this shot was taken while zooming OUT, hence this next pic i took. (and from how the background trees on the left are more static than the right, since i was panning right!)

HEres the shot right afterwards, a little less 3d, but the rider is sharper

rider510_03.jpg

Alright heres more! just got back from the track earlier today (april 11th), Really went nuts with the zooming, and slow shutter speeds (1/50-1/100 usually)

with flash zooming out
rider501_02.jpg

With flash zooming in
rider510_01.jpg

no flash, zooming out
ridergmulti_02.jpg

Very harsh zoom out at 1/50th of a second
ridernofear_05.jpg

love the shots! they are really killer, no doubt riders get tired of the same old shots, I bet they will be beating a path to your door for these.
I was thinking of the same a few weeks back, and tried it, but the shutter speed was too fast, wasnt sure how to make it happen.

thanks for the informative post, will retry it.

Fabulous shots! By how much would you say you are zooming out by? I must give this a go the next time I am at a motorsport event! :D

While the picture is taken probably only 5-15mm, BUT the hard part is getting good timing on the zoom, and keeping the lens steady and panning. So even though the lens will only travel a few millimetres during the actuall picture, you will end up cranking it quite far (I use the Cheapo Sigma 18-200 which is quite nice for this actually, so I probably crank it about 50mm on each shot.)

In some of the more exaggerated shots at 1/50th Its probably about 30mm travel, The one that looks like its from back to the future was a very aggressive one, I'm very happy the riders face was still quite sharp.

Latest threads

Top Bottom