1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic DMC-G1: The Abomination has arrived!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lurker, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    :frown:

An SLR with EVF - hopefully it will stay a niche and not become the standard. I've gotten quite attached to a viewfinder that can even track the fastest action and shutter lag that is limited to 50ms...

2. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    The camera market is a very powerful and large market. If people don't want EVF, it won't hang around. It's still a pretty consumer driven marketplace.

3. GeorgeV

GeorgeV

Aug 7, 2008
    Niles
    I'd buy one. This is amied squarely at the d40 market.

4. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I'm not saying that they shouldn't be sold - heck, if Nikon would market something similar that is the size of a Canon G-series, I'd go for it...
    If they do manage to fix the shutter lag problem it would actually be pretty cool (apparently Panasonic has already solved the problem of making contrast-AF fast). I only hope that the classic SLR's stay.

I have to say though, DOF preview without a dark viewfinder, and shutter speed preview... those are pretty sweet options.

5. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    The other note is, to take advantage of the "compact" size, which is the only real selling point, you have to use the new lenses which, due to the 20mm vs 40mm focal point to sensor, won't be compatable with the standard 4:3 format if a customer ever wants to move up. This sticks them with a bunch of lenses to sell at a loss. You can use standard 4:3 lenses with an adapter, but that negates the size benefits.

On paper it looks like a good idea and I'm sure the marketing people have done their homework, but honestly it looks like a soloution looking for a problem.

6. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    The Abomination, that made me chuckle. When I read about it this morning I was wondering if they managed to get the EVF to not black out during burst shots like the rest of the Lumix line does. A black screen makes tracking moving objects just a tiny bit harder than a real optical viewfinder that doesn't go black.

7. I think this will turn out to be one of the biggest innovations in photography in the last 50 years. I hope that this camera is just the start in a long line of new cameras to come.

Smaller is better, my friends. I currently shoot the 4/3 system, and to tell you the truth, I cannot see using my current lenses on one of these bodies as I think it would defeat the main purpose of the new micro cameras, but at least I will have that option.

I plan to wait until after photokina and see what else develops, but then I plan on ordering one of the new micro cameras. This is a street shooter's dream come true.

8. The EVF on the G1 impressed dpreview.

"the sharpness, resolution, refresh rate, brightness and color are excellent. The real revelation is when you try it next to the Olympus E-420 (using our tried and tested method of putting a camera up to each eye); the G1's viewfinder image looks huge (it's at least 50% larger), and a lot brighter with a standard zoom attached. There's no doubt that electronic viewfinders aren't going to replace optical reflex finders for all applications in the near future (the display gets quite noisy in very low light, and it will inevitably impact on shutter lag), but this is a real move in the right direction - it's perfectly possible to check critical focus "

9. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    The problem is, no matter how good sensors get, the rules of physics will always apply. Bigger will ALWAYS be better, period, no questions asked, hands down, end of story when it comes to sensor size.

For a street shooter perhaps an ultra compact SLR is an advantage, but for the 95% of the rest of the world who is always strugling for light, especially wildlife, sports, action, event/wedding, and photojournalism shooters, a bigger sensor with better high ISO will always win the battle. I've heard more than one wedding shooter, for example, say the D3 is a "wedding photographers dream come true".

4/3 has certain unarguable advantages, but shoot an ISO6400 available light shot in a church with a 4/3 camera and let me know how that goes...

Sorry I just can't buy into the "smaller is better" argument, at least not outside of a very small sect of the photography world.

10. Yep, Pete you are right about the size of the sensor, but for what I shoot, this is going to be a godsend.:biggrin:

11. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Specialization is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd love to see a new class of EVIL cameras arise. But the camera industry seems to have a "what's good for us, is good for you" approach in their designs. Try finding a compact P&S with an optical viewfinder...

My biggest fear is still that, yes, a 1.5MP EVF with zero shutter lag is wonderful. But as somebody for who a D200/D300 is at the end of my budget it's not going to be fun when that viewfinder is reserved for a D3 class camera, and the D60/D90 class of cameras are equiped with a .5MP EVF with .5s shutter lag and 0% useability in dark or very bright conditions. Minolta's A1 had a 1.2MP EVF if I remember correctly, and that got replaced with a .5MP EVF in the A2. That's the kind of "evolution" I'm affraid of.

Hopefully it doesn't get to that; performances in the past are no guarantee for the future. I can see uses for EVIL cameras - I might even warm up for one if they manage to get rid of all the problems that come with that design, and Panasonic seemed to have taken some good steps in that direction. Once we have an EVF with a 60Hz refresh rate and 50ms shutter lag I might even get enthousiastic!

12. C'mon Bart, forget about all the specs. Wouldn't you like a D200 or D300 in a nice shade of red or blue like the Panasonic is offering? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I told my wife, "Honey, come look at this camera I might be getting soon. She looked and said, ooh, can we get one in red?" I wanted to smack her. :Teeth:

13. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Rick, think of how much easier it will be to get your camera into "no professional cameras allowed" venues! Of course we'd need champagne gold too. Or in good ole' nikon tradition the gold plated/lizard skin version...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.