Panasonic GF1 anyone?

Will you consider buying one if Nikon makes a camera like GF1 with f mount?

• I will consider buying one at comparable price ($899 body+lens)

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • I will consider buying one (body+lens) at <$599.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I do not care for such a camera.

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now that the Panasonic GF1 is announced: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicGF1/.

Check out the link for more details. But here's the very very condensed version:
1. Noise performance probably comparable to D40X, D60.
2. Focus performance similar to D60, D3000 (maybe a little worse, but very close).
3. body size with the pancake lens is similar to a compact camera, i.e. canon g10.

How many would consider buying one if Nikon make a camera in the same class as the GF1 with f mount (compact camera body, noise performance of APS-C sensor, focus performance of D3000)?

It looks to be a great little camera. I just sold my Canon G10 in anticipation of buying the G11 but now I will probably get the GF1.
From the samples I've seen, the GF1 easily matches many APS-C dSLRs. I'm looking for a smaller travel camera that meets my expectations and the GF1 might be the one.

Now that the Panasonic GF1 is announced: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicGF1/.

Check out the link for more details. But here's the very very condensed version:
2. Focus performance similar to D60, D3000 (maybe a little worse, but very close).
3. body size with the pancake lens is similar to a compact camera, i.e. canon g10.

How many would consider buying one if Nikon make a camera in the same class as the GF1 with f mount (compact camera body, noise performance of APS-C sensor, focus performance of D3000)?

Assuming GF1 and first micro 4/3 Panasonic G1 share same sensor than D40 is better sensor wise. D60/D40x are even better still.
Having said that like the concept, only would like to see better sensor performance @ high ISO.
Maybe 6Mp would be better than 12. Even latest P&S from Canon (G11 i think) have less pixels than predecessor (G10 may be the one with 14Mp???)

Check the link to DXO for comparison.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/298|0/(appareil2)/229|0/(appareil3)/194|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Panasonic/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Nikon

I was torn between the GF1 and Olympus E-P1 since:
. I prefer the more sober design of the GF1
. Like the thought of the highly praised fast AF of the Panasonic
. Want badly the 20mm 1.7 that comes as kit with the GF1
. But..... I love the Oly colors
. Find the Panasonic colors a bit too cool for my liking
. I am impressed by the high iso photos taken by the E-P1, I find them better than the GF1 and even better compared to the 1600 iso photos taken by the Nikon D3000 after comparing the imaging-resource examples (important to me)
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCGF1/DMCGF1hSLI1600.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1hSLI1600_NR_STD.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3000/EXIF/D3000hSLI1600_NR.HTM
. The AF of the Oly is fast enough for me when I see these comparisons http://43rumors.com/.../focus-speed-test-comparison-between-the-e-p1-and-gh1/ the AF speed seems to depend on what lens is used.
. I like the photos I see which are taken with the E-P1 and the 14-42 kitlens. It also has good close-up abilities, for me important since this camera is going to be my all round lightweight and I can use it together with the 70-300mmVR on my D90 without having to switch lenses
The Oly colors and quality of the high iso photos have made me decide to get the E-P1 and buy the 20mm 1.7 when it is available instead of the GF1

The OP asked if we'd buy a GF-1-style camera from Nikon if/when Nikon releases one.

Not to be disloyal but my question in response is, why wait for Nikon?

I knew nothing about the micro 4/3 format until two days ago, know next to nothing today. But from what I know it doesn't seem as though much of my Nikon equipment will be usable in Nikon's 4/3 release if it ever comes. Maybe my flashes will cross over, but nothing else, right?

So, why wait for Nikon? Lumix has proven that it knows how to do metering and AF, lenses are Leicas... what is there that Nikon would likely do spectacularly better?

(These are not rhetorical questions. I was about to buy an LX3 when the GF-1 was announced. Wondering if I should wait for... what, 6-8-12 months for Nikon to reveal its micro 4/3 products.)

I'd buy one from Nikon and stick a 45mm AI-P lens on there. :biggrin:

Seriously, I may grab a GF1 and try it with a couple summicrons I have floating around.

Small cameras rule, and the micro 4:3 format has a lot going for it. However, two things that matter to me are even worse off than with the aps-c format: wide-angles and dof. So I'm not buying. Of the cameras I'm not buying the M9 interests me more. Finances aside, it packs an amazing amount of camera into a similar package. Then again, this format is going places in an amazing way, so it's exciting times and that's never a bad thing.

i am also on the fence between the e-p1 and the gf1....but i have held neither...i am leaning towards the oly because i like the styling :) also, it seems as though the oly can mount more lens options to it and retain function more than the panny? at any rate, i have a D3 and many pounds of equipment, but now am lugging a 25 pound 10 month old on my back when hiking so wanted a tiny kit...stephen...cant u mount those panny lenses on the oly?? roosje thanks for the links :)

I got the E-P1 yesterday :)
With the 14-42mm kitlens, 1600 iso.
3905147596_63ec9bc864_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

640 iso
3906510079_db22a25c01_o.jpg

Test photo in quite low light circumstances. Corrected the colors a little, but no noise reduction.
1600 iso, using incandescent WB.
3904410667_85cee8dae1_o.jpg

would u care to give impression of focus ability and that lens performance? overall impression?

Even with a live view sensor and removal of the optical viewfinder the camera based on an F mount would not be in the same size class as any of the m4/3 bodies so far. That is because the F mount lenses are designed to focus on a plane, either film or digital sensor, that is at a specific distance. That would make for a thick body. Oddly enough that is one of the nice things about the m4/3 system is that it easily allows for adaption of other lenses because of its short mount to sensor distance. My 105DC becomes a 210/2 as some would say.

I was an early adopter of the G1 and will probably add an EP-1 as a P&S soon. To those who say the image quality is not good enough I can only laugh because they probably don't have one and also never looked at the RAW files from them.:rolleyes:

silver or white?
Silver, with black 14-42mm kitlens :smile:

would u care to give impression of focus ability and that lens performance? overall impression?

Till now I have no problems with the AF. On tips of dpreview Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum though I have set it on single focus and put off face detection, preferences which I also have done with the D90. On rare occasions I make use of continuous focussing. AF on the spider caused no problems and I did not experience noticeable more difficulties focussing on our dark French Bulldog in low light situation than on other occasions with my D90. I have not tried action photos yet.

On dPreview there are some who do find the AF an issue, but I have not experienced it yet.

I wouldn't be vastly interested in a camera like the GF1 from nikon because, as stated already, I don't think that they would be able to make it small enough to justify its existence. It would probably be not much smaller then older manual focus nikons such as an FM/FE/FM2/FE2 due to the required distance from lens to focal plane.

However, the introduction of an FM4 would certainly cause my wallet to open.

I would be interested in an EP-1/GF1 form camera from Nikon. Mirrorless w/ good EVF. Dx sensor. They should be able to make it just a bit taller and wider w/ the same depth as these 2 cameras. It would require a new line of primes though and an adapter to mount existing dslr lenses.
Too late. They've lost me to Panasonic for this carry-everywhere camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom