1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pano Head

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by antsplan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Hi all

Anyone using a Pano Head ? I've been looking at the Manfrotto SPH303 and the Nodal Ninja 5.

Anyone any experiences of these or pano heads in general that they'd like to share ?

Regards

Anthony

2. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    Hi Anthony,
    I'm searching threads for info on pano heads, as I'm looking to get into a setup soon. Wondering if you went ahead with the Nodal Ninja, or something else, or if you're still looking???

Cheers,

3. fixbones

fixbones Guest

Hi there,

I have been reading about Pano heads and setup as well for the past week or so.

Nodal Ninja seems to be quite popular but they are rather bulky and expensive.

However if you are only interested in doing single row Panos....i think the RRS single row pano kit is hard to beat. Small and portable, easy setup and looks simple to use. Definitely tops on my wish list :cool: 

What do you guys think?

4. I first bought a "Panosaurus" head, and used it for sometimes, then i bought a "Nodal Ninja" one, but i haven't even had any opportunity to make any 360° pano wit it worth showing yet...

Both are quite good, eays to use, with a slight advantage to the "Nodal Ninja" !

Here's a few of the 360 panos that i did, sometimes ago: http://www.panoguide.com/gallery/244/ !
    For the best view, click on "Full Screen ~1Mb." !

Cheers,
    J-P.

5. I started with the NN-2, then a NN-3 and now use the NN-5L. The NN-5L is a wonderful piece of kit. It easily supports my D700/MB-D10/The Beast (28-70/2.8). The longer base arm of the NN-5L allows you room to mount your camera WITH a QR plate and a QR adapter attached. Makes life a lot easier than fumbling with a thumb screw on the panohead when mounting the camera every time you want to use it.

All the 360VRs on my site were shot with NN panoheads.

6. Mine is a custom job using the levelling base from an antique surveryor's level

CustomPanoHead_2894.

7. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    For a great education on pano setups, go here:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/index.html

I went with their PCL-1 Pano Head, PCL-DVTL Dovetail Adapter, and MPR-CL II Nodal Slide. This setup only does single-row panos, but that's all I have wanted to shoot so far.

One of the great things about the RRS stuff is it's modularity - you will find other uses for the various pieces, and you can add more components. So for example, I can turn my simple pano setup into a full-blown omni-pivot setup by adding the necessary components. Not cheap, though.

-- Russ

8. +1 on the RRS pano head. Very easy and quick to set-up.

9. RRS makes a panning clamp that attaches to their ball HEAD...

10. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    I'm looking at Panosaurus and NN3... What do you find as the main differences between the 2. Is the NN worth the extra $$$?

Thanks J-P,

11. You're right and I should have written it clearer. The RRS clamp attaches to any ballhead with an Arca-Swiss clamp. Very easy to set-up!

12. Hi ! I would say that the NN3 seems a bit sturdy than the Panosaurus, but not that much...

One thing is sure for me: as spherical 360 degrees panoramas is not the kind of thing one would shoot everyday, it's not really worth -unless one has enough spare money- to buy one of these expensive dedicated pano heads !

I've been shooting "normal" panoramas for years, with all possible cameras and lenses, but i never HAD to use a pano-head, not to set my camera/lens to the nodal point ! About 95 % of the panos can be shot straightforward, on a good tripod (and some even hand-held) !

Just my two cents...

Cheers,
    J-P.

13. Manfrotto do a pano head as well which I don't use....

I have a 190B tripod with a 556B levelling column. On top of that I have a 488RC2 ball head. This head has a seperate rotation lock so I can lock the ball down and still rotate the whole head around the centre column.

Must confess though, I don't use it that often, I usually just stand there and do the whole thing by hand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.