Panomania in New York City (broadband)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Jul 2, 2007.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Some recent panoramas from New York City. All images taken with a D200 and stitched with Ptgui. All daytime photos were hand held. All night time photos were taken with a tripod/ball head combination.

Megapixels matter if you are a resolution junkie :)

Skyline from the Metropolitan Museum of Art - nikkor 35-70, 7 image (click for larger image)
    original.

Skyline from the Metropolitan Museum of Art #2 - nikkor 35-70, 23 image (click for larger image)
    original.

Greek and Roman Gallery at the Metropolitan - nikkor 35-70, 11 image (click for larger image)
    original.

Greek and Roman Gallery at the Metropolitan #2 - nikkor 35-70, 7 image
    original.

Bethesda Terrace - nikkor 35-70, 8 image (click for larger image)
    original.

Minton Tile Ceiling at Bethesda Terrace - nikkor 35-70, 6 image (click for larger image)
    original.

The Apple Store 5th Avenue - nikkor 35-70, 6 image (click for larger image)
    original.

Dusk on Manhattan - nikkor 70-200, 9 image (click for larger image)
    original.

George Washington Bridge - 70-200, 10 image (click for larger image)
    original.

Washington Heights - 70-200, 8 image (click for larger image)
    original.

…and finally, a single image:
    Full Moon Rising - nikkor 70-200 (click for larger image)
    original.

Regards

RFC

2. Wow! Absolutely stunning shots here Robert. They would make some gorgeous wallhangers.

Thanks for sharing them.

3. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Very nice work, Robert!

4. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great job Robert!

5. TonyC

TonyC Guest

Some fantastic work there, but No.3 doesn't do it for me. Seems you'd need eyes in the back of your head for a view like that.

No 1. is a great photo, but I would also try cropping it only to include the girl with her hand over her mouth and just to the right of the kid with the black t-shirt (next to the bloke wearing orange).

I know it defeats the point of taking a panorama, but imho it makes a better photograph.

The night shots are brilliant.

6. alaskahutch

alaskahutch

Jun 22, 2006
    Soldotna
    Thanks, Robert, for these great images. Makes me want to go back. My trip there in May was much too short a visit. I did love that Apple store for most of an afternoon, though. :D

7. WOW! as usual...

Hi Robert,
    Its such a treat to look at your images, gallery 2 , dusk on Manhatten and Geo Washington do it for me. I used to live on East 3rd St opposite the HAMC Clubhouse, back in 1980 and your images bring it all back.THX:599:
    What a city:710:

8. Fantastic, Robert. I especially like the ones of Bethesda Terrace. The area with the tiled roof was all closed off when I was there and the fountain was dry. I also didn't get a chance to see that area of the Met (it was raining heavily that day !). Thank you for posting these !

Ronnie

9. I LOVE your New-York panos, Robert !...only pity that, when viewed on a "normal" screen, they certainly don't show all the details that they contain !

...wish i had an -at least- 32 inches monitor !!!

Cheers,
    J-P.

10. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    It's very difficult to say what I like best, they are great...

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images
    The Moon just topped it off.
    That is just wow

12. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Thank you Murreywalker

Thanks Haze2

Thanks Jimmy Wilde for the comments and suggestions. I will have to try the crop on the next rendition.

Thank you Alaskahutch. NYC is waiting for you :)

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi NZDoug, You know what they say...once a new yorker always a new yorker. Thanks for the comments

Hi Ronnie,

They just finished the the Milton Tile restoration last May. I must admit it looks great for something built in the 1800s. Must be that English quality as they were manufactured by the Minton Company of Stoke-on-Trent, England :) Hopefully on your next visit you can spend some time at the Met. Thanks fo the comments.

Thank you JPS for the kind comments. I too wish I had a 32 incher monitor :)

Thanks Flyfishdk

Thanks Gale :)

14. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    RFC, you are the Panorama King!

DAB

15. WOW what great shots!

I also love the thong shot in #1 :-P

16. That is a very striking set of images.

17. WOW! Nice Shots

I really like the Skyline from the Metropolitan Museum of Art #2, Dusk on Manhattan, George Washington Bridge and Full Moon Rising. The whole series is just awesome.

I am a relative newbie to the Nikon Cafe and I have never attempted panoramic shots like this before. How difficult is it to do work like this and what software does it take? I would be interested in learning how to do panoramic series shots.

18. I really like the HUGE ceiling on "Greek and Roman Gallery at the Metropolitan #2", looks neat the way you shot it. And of course the apple store is always cool :biggrin:

19. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks Dabo
    Looking foward to seeing your BZ shots :)

Thank you cleanmaxx Brian. You have a good eye for detail. Better than mine...I never noticed the thong :)

Thank you CliffB

Hi Grogls

Thanks for the kind words. Check out www.panoguide.com for general info on panoramas. I started doing these panoramas a couple of years ago and I am hooked. My current default software is Ptgui, which you can download a demo to try out. www.ptgui.com

Thanks Victor. The best thing about that Appe store is they have 30 inch monitors which I love to check out my work on. :)

20. Robert Ohhh Robert...

Every time you throw tittle like Panothis and Panothat I feel so good named Pano... :biggrin:

Impressive work...!!!