Panoramas (Panos) & case

I could not find a category for panos so I thought I would start here. I want to experiment with panos but I did not want to pay for commercial software to stitch them. I have downloaded MS ICE and Hugin. I plan on using both to make some test panos and try to determine which of the two is more capable. If anyone has had any experience with either of these Pano programs leave some information here.

Since I'm leaving on a cruise through the Panama Canal I plan on doing a few panos besides everything else. I did not want to use my standard soft camera bag for this trip so I purchased a HPRC 2550WFB (Italian made) from B&H Photo. This hard case has foam padding inside, has a pull out handle and wheels. It is considered a carry on for airline use. Since I am flying home when the cruise is over this gives some peace of mind. I was able to fit my D700 with 35-70 attached, my 80-200, 20, 16 fisheye, a 50 and a tele extender. I will not be able to take a tripod so I am taking my monopod. The case is also water proof (to a point). With my gear in the case it's a snap to pull out the handle and pull it along.

I decided to pass the information along about the case because I know what it is like to board a plane and hope you don't have to check your gear bag because the overhead bins are all full.

John

I could not find a category for panos so I thought I would start here. I want to experiment with panos but I did not want to pay for commercial software to stitch them. I have downloaded MS ICE and Hugin. I plan on using both to make some test panos and try to determine which of the two is more capable. If anyone has had any experience with either of these Pano programs leave some information here.

Since I'm leaving on a cruise through the Panama Canal I plan on doing a few panos besides everything else. I did not want to use my standard soft camera bag for this trip so I purchased a HPRC 2550WFB (Italian made) from B&H Photo. This hard case has foam padding inside, has a pull out handle and wheels. It is considered a carry on for airline use. Since I am flying home when the cruise is over this gives some peace of mind. I was able to fit my D700 with 35-70 attached, my 80-200, 20, 16 fisheye, a 50 and a tele extender. I will not be able to take a tripod so I am taking my monopod. The case is also water proof (to a point). With my gear in the case it's a snap to pull out the handle and pull it along.

I decided to pass the information along about the case because I know what it is like to board a plane and hope you don't have to check your gear bag because the overhead bins are all full.

John
I don't have those programs, but I bought Elements 11 & it does an amazing job on panos. It was only $ 99.00 Cdn !

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
John, I use the 24mm PC-E lens and with it it's quite easy to do panos. When I have any number of pics that should be stitched together I usually work on each raw file first and then let PS stitch them automatically together.
I must say it's a rather addictive way to create photographs! I made a lot on my vacation in Switzerland. If you're interested look at my smugmug site, the vacation is situated here.

John, I use MS Ice to good effect and also Autostitch, which is freeware and, although it has a multitude of settings, you don't have to open that section up and the standard settings work very well. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I have a couple of suggestions for camera settings.
1. Hold the camera in portrait (vertical) orientation. This will allow for a larger print. If the monopod won't permit this, do it hand held.
2. Shoot fully manual
3. Test exposure on several points in the scene and use that exposure for all shots.
4. Set the D700 to CL continuous low speed shooting, use the menu for CL to control the number of shots per second. About 2/sec. is good.
The photos should overlap at least 20%. Overlap will depend on how fast you move the camera and the CL setting. Adjust one or the other so that you have at least 7 or 8 photos in each pano. You could end up with 40 in one pano. 40 photos will work but may crash your computer. Somewhere between 7 and 15 is a good number.
5. Since this is hand held use a shutter speed of at least 1/1250 sec.
6. f/8 or f/11 will keep everything in focus
7. Because of the shutter speed and aperture, adjust the ISO to get the correct exposure. Don't be afraid of high ISO, the D700 can handle it. ISO 1600 on the D700 still gives good results.
8. If the scene has a white balance that varies, like at night, shoot manual WB. Do this by setting WB to "K". Use Live View to adjust the WB by watching the LCD. Use that for all the shots.
9. Don't use too wide of a lens. Your 35-70, between 50-70mm is good. Too wide will cause parallax or things near the edges to lean.

Real Name
Ken St John
ICE is about the only program left that I run on Windows. It is excellent and I wish it was available for the Mac ... but that's not gonna happen!!

Look forward to seeing your panos!!

Ken

Real Name
Tim
I love playing around with pano shots - not that I'm any good at it, I just kinda snap in a circle and hope for the best (tho lately I've been putting more forethought into them .vs just shooting)...I use MS ICE as well because it's extremely easy to use....the link below was one of the first ones I tried (I reduced the size substantially from the original as well):

http://www.drumrock.com/temp/pan/smSEA.jpg

Fun stuff!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love playing around with pano shots - not that I'm any good at it, I just kinda snap in a circle and hope for the best (tho lately I've been putting more forethought into them .vs just shooting)...I use MS ICE as well because it's extremely easy to use....the link below was one of the first ones I tried (I reduced the size substantially from the original as well):

http://www.drumrock.com/temp/pan/smSEA.jpg

Fun stuff!
That SEA waterfront pano looks good. How many frames did you shoot to create it? You live in the great NW?

John

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a couple of suggestions for camera settings.
1. Hold the camera in portrait (vertical) orientation. This will allow for a larger print. If the monopod won't permit this, do it hand held.
2. Shoot fully manual
3. Test exposure on several points in the scene and use that exposure for all shots.
4. Set the D700 to CL continuous low speed shooting, use the menu for CL to control the number of shots per second. About 2/sec. is good.
The photos should overlap at least 20%. Overlap will depend on how fast you move the camera and the CL setting. Adjust one or the other so that you have at least 7 or 8 photos in each pano. You could end up with 40 in one pano. 40 photos will work but may crash your computer. Somewhere between 7 and 15 is a good number.
5. Since this is hand held use a shutter speed of at least 1/1250 sec.
6. f/8 or f/11 will keep everything in focus
7. Because of the shutter speed and aperture, adjust the ISO to get the correct exposure. Don't be afraid of high ISO, the D700 can handle it. ISO 1600 on the D700 still gives good results.
8. If the scene has a white balance that varies, like at night, shoot manual WB. Do this by setting WB to "K". Use Live View to adjust the WB by watching the LCD. Use that for all the shots.
9. Don't use too wide of a lens. Your 35-70, between 50-70mm is good. Too wide will cause parallax or things near the edges to lean.
Thanks for all the tips. Yes, I've shot high ISO before. Does a good job. Went to your WEB. Looks like your a Wedding shooter!!!

John

This pano was done hand-held.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not bad!!!

I really enjoy shooting handheld panos. They do work out really well to get that extra spacial effect that a single shot lacks. I stitch in Photoshop.

One thing you have to be careful of is architecture or scenes that have a lot of straight lines. You got to find that exact point to shoot from to avoid or minimize distortion. Once you find that you can get some amazing shots.

Real Name
Tim
That SEA waterfront pano looks good. How many frames did you shoot to create it? You live in the great NW?

John
Thanks!!!!

WRT frames on this one I'm not sure - I think somewhere between 8 and 11 - it's a pretty encompassing shot....I do these handheld. And aye I live out here - there's no place better :D

Here's one of Deception Pass (sorry for just posting links .vs the shot, but they're large photos and I haven't put them anywhere else)...

http://www.drumrock.com/temp/pan/dp-sm.jpg

That one is eight frames or so and again, hand held....If I were doing these on a more commercial/professional level I'd take more time with them on setup and do some post....but, this is a hobby for me... :D

This pano was hand held, about 5 shots of the Michigan Int'l Speedway infield, and stitched with Elements 11http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9217043678/]
[/url] MIS infield panorama by Al Rawlins, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another hand held & stitched with Elements 11. You cannot find the joins.
http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8944398738/]
[/url] Carden Street Panorama in Guelph by Al Rawlins, on Flickr

I would like to learn a bit more of this myself. Seeing that the OP, John, and Tim are both not far away, I certainly would be interested in meeting up at some point and trading info.

Might have a couple of other folks in the area who might be interested as well. Drop me a PM.

Thanks for this info.

John, I use MS Ice to good effect and also Autostitch, which is freeware and, although it has a multitude of settings, you don't have to open that section up and the standard settings work very well. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Autostitch has one huge quirk about file numbering that can cause big problems. The lowest number image should be in the middle, then increase to the right, then resume at the left and get higher as you get back towards the middle.

In other words, the file names should be something like:

9 10 11 13 14 14 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

left to right across the scene.

If you shoot in portrait orientation, you will need to go into Edit > Options and tell the software which direction to turn the images. And you can also set the final image size... default is 1400 pixels wide, which is dismal. JPEG default quality is also 75%... something you'll want to change.

Pre digital panorama

This is a Panorama that I made by just taping prints together. Thought it might be interesting to this thread.

I must be doing something wrong. I am trying to paste the URL of an image on Flickr, but it is not http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9711474332/working. It's the picture on the left in this set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom