Pantone HueyPro Disaster

Well, this April I purchased a Pantone Huey Pro display calibrator to calibrate my two big LCDs and my MacBook Air.

Unfortunately, it's turned into a long tale of disappointment and poor customer service.

It got in and everything seemed great until the profiles loaded. My screens became a deep shade of magenta. I looked around online and began to find complaints of this severe magenta cast showing up everywhere amongst the once-positive reviews.
I immediately went on their support site to find they had a replacement program in place. I sent them my information to request the replacement.

over 45 days later, I finally receive my FIRST communication after the automated "we will respond within 48 hours" reply.
During a two day period I had contact with them to set up the replacement and at the end of it I got the pantone online store order e-mail from the replacement, which was supposed to ship in 2-3 weeks.

Unfortunately, it showed the right house number, but the wrong street and ZIP code. I e-mailed and even called their head of tech support, but received no reply. This was now early June.

I finally received a call from Pantone- This morning.
They're offering to replace it with an X-Rite/Pantone i1 (eyeOne) Display 2 calibrator, which is more expensive and full featured. I've accepted, but even so it'll be at least a week before I have anything. I should still get it before I head back up to UF to start my second year, where a calibrated display will be an absolute necessity.

Pantone's AskPantone support system is under extremely heavy load, and this is apparently causing some of the problems. Still, that sort of delay is unacceptable.

I just wanted to let you all know that they're having these problems and if you have an issue, prepare to be in for a long wait.

Real Name
Ian Moran
I use a Spyder 2 Pro but decided to try a friends Pantone Huey. Was impressed enough to order one. However like you the end result was an awful, magenta display so I returned it immediately. They seem to have a quality control issue.

B

Bright Angel

I bought the Huey Pro a few days ago, so far no problems.
Software version was 1.5

Hardly a "disaster", but certainly an example of poor customer service.

I've had my Huey for 2 years. It worked well until yesterday when I upgraded to a Vista machine. I now have a magenta cast despite upgrading the software.

This may just be a case of you get what you pay for.

I am in the same boat and found out about their "recall" by reading their faq's page trying to figure out how to get rid of pink tint product produced. I am taking the eyeOne deal they are offering. It cant be any worse than the Huey was and seems to be more expensive. If they send me the new device I will be happy and am glad they are addressing the issue..... they could have just discontinued the product and let everyone enjoy pink tinted monitors!

Hardly a "disaster", but certainly an example of poor customer service.

I've had my Huey for 2 years. It worked well until yesterday when I upgraded to a Vista machine. I now have a magenta cast despite upgrading the software.

This may just be a case of you get what you pay for.

ah, Vista...
your problems have just begun
it's only a matter of time before microsoft stops selling it.... i truly believe that

Dell is having almost 30% of their machine go OUT THE DOOR "dumbed down" to XP these days... no kidding

So he is saying the Huey worked fine before Vista... cool I can use on my XP laptop then. As far as Vista goes I have had zero problems where as with XP I had to reformat at least every 6 months. I do believe you have to do a clean install of Vista with the full version for it to work properly.

I have used i1 display 2 on my old XP machine (with a 19" CRT) and now on my new Vista (Ultimate 64-bit) machine (with a 24" EIZO TFT) - absolutely no issues.

My only Vista related problem is that the new driver (in combination with the respective profiles) for my Epson R1800 produces slightly cooler prints. Until I get custom profiles I transfer the files-to-print to my old PC and print from there.

Cheers

Good to hear that i1 display2 is better.

If you can believe it, they shipped my replacement...again to the wrong address that the original replacement order had said, despite us having verified the address when setting up the replacement with the i1.

Thankfully they did a delivery intercept within a day of it leaving, so it'll get to me at the right address very soon.

Harrison,
Thanks for posting, sorry to hear this, I would have been rather upset with the loooong delay. When processing time is limited, every day lost is a big deal. Glad to hear you're getting a new one soon.

Stephanie

Harrison, did you ever get your i1 replacement for your Huey?

Mine arrived last week. I'm quite impressed with the product. Easy to use and the calibration looks great. No issues once I downloaded the Vista 64bit drivers. Glad to see they stuck by their product and offered this free replacement for the huey.

My humble color calibrator is a simple Huey, perhaps 3 years old. I never cared to update the software and now will not do it anyway.
Never a problem. Even my printer tells me the colors are right on...
I had to talk to them a few days ago and they had a great customer service.
I am really happy with my little Huey.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Latest threads

Top Bottom