Paparazzo Night Gear...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Anyways, I'm posting this due to interest from some of the forum members regarding my night setup. My usual night street setup is this: Nikon D2H, Nikkor 18-70 DX lens (the best cheap street lens on the market), SB-80DX Flash (I haven't bought a new flash yet!), Stroboframe VH2000 (sucks, but I still use it), Nikon SC-17 cord (still works), Quantum Turbo pack and cord, 1gig Sandisk card, standard Nikon neck strap (the best neck strap to use), and a Sunpak video light mounted on to the bracket itself. I also use a a straight video bracket, but lately I've been preferring this setup.

I prefer the Nikon strap because I use it to wrap around my arm, since I do not hang the camera from my neck (it'd be too heavy!). I do this just in case I get bumped and do not want to drop my camera. The Nikon strap is far more sturdy for this kind of use.

Once it's all together, it's rather heavy. This setup could also be applied to other forms of event photography and weddings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Quite a set-up...it looks more like a weapon than a camera. Thanks for showing us how you do things at night.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Looks big - and from the examples you've posted, effective.

4. I note that you have both a video light and a flash. Why both? Are these used independently in different situations or together?

Thanks for a look at a whole different venue.

5. I shoot on continuous mode in complete dark. In order to guarantee focus, I use the video light in tandem with my setup in order to get a faster focus lock. A faster lens might help, but with absolutely nothing to lock on to in the dark, a faster lens will still hit the limitations of the camera focus mechanism. Many times I only have about 10 seconds or even less to get my shots, so the video light helps improve the chances of getting a quick lock and hose down.

Unfortunately it's also very blinding, possibly agitating your subject...but depending on who it is, I sometimes like to annoy them! :)

PS - I've considered shooting without the bracket, but I am paranoid of slipping and busting the flash mount which has happened to me before. It thoroughly sucks! A bracket helps minimize shadows, protect the mounts and is like added armor to your camera.

6. Sometimes I feel like a Ghostbuster with all that gear!

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hey that video light is a cool idea. Have you tried the SC-29 with the AF assist lamp? I just got one, and it kinda helps when shooting landscape, but I find that the bracket blocks the lamp output when shooting in portrait.

8. kengo

kengo Guest

Just wondering can you fit a larger lens, like the 24-120Vr, with the VH2000 on the camera?

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What happens if you cross the beams with another paparazzo?

10. You never cross the beams! Unless you want to close the gates to inter-dimensional hell...In this case, Hollywood! Come to think about it, it might be a good idea! :p

11. Easily, the bracket has adjustments for it to fit any lens. Even a 70/80-200.

12. well i guess there is no sneaking up on them with that setup. how do you sneak up on them? CS Dayan

13. 70-200 VR

and
    Those 2 lenses work really well for being sneaky! :)