Paper Wasp...question.

Real Name
Carl
Note on the head three small what looks like holes. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Last edited:
Real Name
Charlie
Those are called "ocelli"; they are (typically three) simple eyes found in many arthropod species, as opposed to their laterally located compound eyes. The better to see you with.

Real Name
Carl
Those are called "ocelli"; they are (typically three) simple eyes found in many arthropod species, as opposed to their laterally located compound eyes. The better to see you with.
Thank you, Charlie! I knew someone here would have the answer! Part of their targeting system, no doubt! I had been thinking they were perhaps part of the wasp's breathing system...but that's in the abdomen, right? ;)

Real Name
Charlie
Thank you, Charlie! I knew someone here would have the answer! Part of their targeting system, no doubt! I had been thinking they were perhaps part of the wasp's breathing system...but that's in the abdomen, right? ;)

Ya, spiracles (little holes with attached tubes called trachea) along the abdomen allow for diffusion of O2. This is about the time I'd tell my students that there will be a quiz next week.... :~)

Simple eyes (ocelli) generally detect light and dark and and on insects, usually do not form images, they have compound eyes for that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom