Papilio glaucus (female)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I had almost given up on catching any butterflies this morning when this nice example of the black form of the female Eastern tiger swallowtail flew past and landed in front of me.

DSC_1784sm.

2. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Nice shot!

3. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Beautiful shot Bob. Nice pose.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful shot. It's an interesting butterfly. I've never seen one of those.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Robert, Scott, Torben -- thanks for the kind words.
    Scott, if they were all as cooperative as this one, there'd be no challenge.
    Torben, I find this species especially interesting because of the fact that the female occurs in two color forms -- it can be yellow and black like the male, or it can be black like this one.