Paradise River

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ddietiker, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Fresh snow melt in the Paradise River

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  2. Splendid shot, Douglas. I love the way I can see the water flowing over the submerged rocks in the fore and middle ground areas, and I think your shutter speed was perfect for this spot.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Looks like paradise to me. :smile: I really like this shot, it's nicely composed and you did a good job of showing motion in the water without losing too much detail. Sometimes the "cotton candy" effect is overdone.

So were you standing on a bridge of some sort, or did you get wet taking this shot? :smile:

4. Douglas,

I agree with Dave....................I think you picked exactly the correct shutter speed for this shot. Just enough softness and yet some detail still in the water. Don't think you could have done better. Beautiful shot. Thanks for sharing it.

5. Thank you Dave

Thanks Jeff,

Actually, unless I changed the ISO value, this was the only shutter speed choice and still have detail in the darker areas since maximum DOF was important in this shot too. Since the water was moving incredibly fast, I went with the biggest f-stop I could and still get DOF.

I was standing on a low bridge, would have been very risky to climb on the rocks. The volume of water was very heavy from the melting snow. If I fell in, I would be history :eek:

Thank you Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  6. I agree, a very nice image. . . love mountain streams and understand your comment about stepping onto wet rocks. . when I do that all I can think about is how much money in camera equipment would ruined.. . 1/5th of a second (I'll remember that) :)

7. Thank you Mr. Ricco, you should have seen the bridge I stood on :eek: It wasn't wide enough to extend my tripod legs all the way out, almost a mono-pod. Trying to get a look through the view finder and not fall in was exciting :biggrin:

(actually, I did climb on a few rocks further down the stream, but I couldn't get a decent shooting position)

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    LOL, who says the life of a landscape photographer isn't full of danger and risk. :biggrin:

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I hesitate to make this response but the blurred water effect is soooo easy to overdo. If you were at 1/30 try 1/60.

10. Thanks HulaMike. We all have to deal with compromises sometimes. I prefer to shoot water on mostly overcast days to avoid blown highlights and shadows. I could have boosted ISO but I dont like the noise it introduces in the water. I did try to get as fast a shutter speed as I could since the water was moving so fast it wouldnt take much to have all silk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  11. Great picture. I also like how you can see the rocks under the water. I think you nailed it.

12. Thank you Rich. I plan to go back this week and try capturing the spray in the water a bit better. It is difficult around tall trees because longer exposures work best.

13. Hi Douglas -

I think you nailed this - exposure, framing, composition, etc.

Very well done, and I agree with all the other comments about the "value-added" aspect of the transparency of the water in the left foreground.

Thanks,

Eric

14. Thank you Eric. The transparency is what attracked me to this angle. Another thousand feet up the mountain is where the snow is melting creating this very clear water.