1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Paradise Valley, Montana

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by brucedane, Sep 10, 2008.

1. brucedane

brucedane

Jul 10, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I snapped these shots during a recent trip to "the last best place". I'd like your critique, especially of the hay bales - it seems like there's too much competing for my attention in the composition, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    Hay Bales in Paradise Valley, Montana
    [​IMG]
    St John's Episcopal Church in Emigrant, Montana
    [​IMG]
    Storm clearing over Paradise Valley - Emigrant, Montana

2. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

The first two don't really do much for me. The third one is really nice though, I like it a lot. Probably ought to touch up the spots to remove the distraction.

3. i think i like the 3rd one best, as well

however, i bet that a bit of
    - shadows and highlights
    and
    - increased color saturation would really help #2

4. brucedane

brucedane

Jul 10, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Thanks for the feedback - and the spots! I didn't even notice them until I posted the large images :-(

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Love the last image...reminds me of a song that Reba sings where in the lyrics she sings...

"I've been to Colorado...where the mountains touch the sky"...

I know it's not Colorado...but the song just popped in my head. Anyway your images are beautiful.

6. Hi Bruce,

You were just over the hill from me, and I am trying my darndest to figure out where #3 was taken....

Sean

7. If the first were a vertical, the close haybale just might work. But as it is it dominates too much. I like the second, and love the third.

8. Interesting. the only picture I see is the picture of the hay bales!
    I find it beautiful but very busy and in need of some crop from the sky.
    I wish I could see the others.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

9. Gnome

Gnome

Mar 6, 2007
    Born in Europe
    Bruce, the hay bale is fine if anything what might be missing is some "middle" (in near, middle, far terms)?

Like William (post #8) I too can only view the first image, the other two fail to display here.

10. Do you hear it??? cindy cindy cindy

Those hills are calling my name. I SO want to be in Montana!

11. brucedane

brucedane

Jul 10, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Hi William. Thanks for the suggestion on cropping some sky. I think your absolutely right! I've been struggling with this image for some time. I thought there was a picture there when I looked through the viewfinder, but I am having trouble teasing it out.

I'm not sure why the other two images aren't visible. I will check later. Thanks, again.

12. brucedane

brucedane

Jul 10, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Hi Sean - you live in a beautiful place! #3 was taken in Emigrant at the intersection of Murphy Road and Rt. 540, about a half mile from Chico Hot Springs Lodge. There's a Fire Department building standing just outside of camera range.

13. Gnome

Gnome

Mar 6, 2007
    Born in Europe
    Still the last two shots are no-shows here, for your information.

14. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Links aren't working but photos can be seen with the link to his Smugmug page.

15. OMG, who cares about the hay bale. Just look at those mountains! Must have been some changes here because what I see is in portrait and only one pic with the hay bale.

I agree to take off some of the top of the sky. It is not necessary and will bring the eye down to where it should be.

But I do love those mountains.

16. brucedane

brucedane

Jul 10, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Hi Birgit, I lived in Hudson for over 14 years! Small world!

For some reason the links to all three images aren't working properly. You can see all three that I originally posted (and others) at my smugmug site.

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I cant see the 2nd and 3rd but the first one is a really beautiful compostion. I will have to recheck the this thread later on :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.