Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I bought this today to use with my Mac Pro running 10.5.5. The problem is that when I try to install Window XP Pro, Parallels crashes.

Does Parallels work with with XP Pro? If so, do I need to do something special to install it? I emailed support but got one of those "will respond within 5 business days, do not respond to this email" responses.

383133933_mW4r4-L.jpg

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    XP Pro works fine on my Mac Pro running 10.5.5.

3. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    With Parallels I presume John?

I don't know when you set it up - maybe a while ago - do you remember if you used the express and chose XP or did you do a custom (manual) config by chosing other?

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes - with Parallels. I set it up a couple of OSX upgrades ago and used the Express Install.

5. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I am currently running <fx: checks> Windows XP Pro on PARALLELS 3.0. One of my friends runs an iMac and runs Parallels. I don't know which version Parallels or Windoze he's running. I do seem to have more gsod (grey screen of death ... yes, Apple OS X *can* crash and burn rather spectacularly :biggrin: )

I can't offer any more insight than that, because I don't remember having any problem installing XP Pro into my Parallels vm.

And, we're on iMacs rather than Mac Pro. That may be a significant difference. Or may not matter at all. :Unsure:

6. SmilesLots

SmilesLots Guest

I had a similar problem with XP home. Seems that if there are any external drives connected, especially via fire wire, it will not install. I ended up using bootcamp. The Parallels folks seem to have zero support at the time I was trying to install. I may try again now that I have a working Windows partition. I was also using a dual external HD case with a pci-x card that windows could not start if it was plugged into my computer. Hours and hours of grey screen. So unplug and external devices, or go bootcamp first, and see if that helps.

7. While I don't have a Mac (yet), in doing my research I've found very good reviews of
    VMware Fusion.

No help to your problem Allen but if you get frustrated and want to try something else you may give it a look.
    Price is only $40 at Amazon.

Don

8. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    The program finally started to work. However, the copy of XP Pro I have is only an upgrade (I had forgotten.) Long ago I bought a laptop with ME on it but the place I worked for would not allow laptops connected unless they had XP Pro. So I cbought the upgrade.

The original laptop and all else is long gone. Will buy a copy of Windows 98 on eBay and then upgrade from there. No rush.