Pardon my Rant

We have 3 computers - 2 desktops and a laptop. Of the 3, 2 are complete junk - slow, virus's (despite so-called protection), and to add another nail to the coffin - I can't open adobe elements on either computer! We had bought a refurb for the kids, it hasn't been used yet and I'm so tempted to use it! My heart desires an IMac, but dunno when we can realistically afford it.
So now, I have no way of downloading my photos, editing, and posting. I have 3 projects I need to finish and cant!
The laptop is supposed to be the "best" but geez, it has a lot of software issues that I don't know how to describe.
Fortunately, I think I have most of my "important" stuff backed up on my external hard drive.
SO, dunno whether to keep shooting pics and if I do how to get them onto something until I can get them downloaded, or what.
Yep, I'm mad, I'm frustrated, and I had to rant.:mad: Hope y'all don't mind too much, and I'll shut up now.:redface: Dunno if I feel better or not :confused:

We have 3 computers - 2 desktops and a laptop. Of the 3, 2 are complete junk - slow, virus's (despite so-called protection), and to add another nail to the coffin - I can't open adobe elements on either computer! We had bought a refurb for the kids, it hasn't been used yet and I'm so tempted to use it! My heart desires an IMac, but dunno when we can realistically afford it.
So now, I have no way of downloading my photos, editing, and posting. I have 3 projects I need to finish and cant!
The laptop is supposed to be the "best" but geez, it has a lot of software issues that I don't know how to describe.
Fortunately, I think I have most of my "important" stuff backed up on my external hard drive.
SO, dunno whether to keep shooting pics and if I do how to get them onto something until I can get them downloaded, or what.
Yep, I'm mad, I'm frustrated, and I had to rant.:mad: Hope y'all don't mind too much, and I'll shut up now.:redface: Dunno if I feel better or not :confused:

Dianne,

If your images are saved off to an external drive, just reinstall Windows. Clean slate - get rid of the malware that's slowing your machines down.

Sean

Yep. Just like the others have said. Start over. I have had much better success with Windows 7 than prior versions.

I agree, did this with my laptop, re-formated the computer then installed the software again. Only thing you have to do is keep the rest of the family off your laptop.

Kid's using computers usually = malware. My daughter actually listened to me and never downloads anything free off the internet (screen savers, games, etc...) and doesnt have any problems. Her roommate does and is constantly having issues.

A reinstall is good advice.

I have reinstalled the operating system in the past, but only as a last resort. Loading all of those programs again is a PITA.
First, I would download Windows Security essentials
www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
If that works, uninstall the antivirus you are using now, since it your computer will run faster with MSE.
And let that try to clean out your computer first.
A lot of frankly expensive security software doesn't work very well. So, stop paying for that stuff and use MSE.

As others have suggested, just wipe them clean and reinstall everything. Once your system is how you like it, you could make a ghost image of your current state, that way if you need to do this again, it saves you a few hours of work.

I stopped trusting AV programs a long time ago, they are just a false sense of security. I now use Firefox + noscript to stop any malicious web browser attacks and so far its working great. But as Douglas says, avoid anything with the word "FREE" in it. If you need something free, look for open-source programs.

I use MSE, I highly recommend it.

Agreed with that!
After paying for the Big Names (Norton, McAfee), I will never touch those again. They seriously affect operation of a number of applications and on top of that are as hard to totally get rid of as the worst virus.
Now I have MSE on 2 desktops and 2 laptops and never have any issue at all.

FWIW: I am a fairly intensive user both professionally and privately and I have never, ever had any virus issues at all.

As soon as I can make sure I've gotten all my important stuff safe, I'll be doing exactly as y'all suggested - I haven't heard of "MSE" but will definitely be researching it. Thanks y'all for all your wonderful help - I'll be sure to keep y'all posted!

Once you get the system wiped clean and have Microsoft Security Essentials (or AVG, Avast, etc) installed and feel a little tech savvy, check Black Viper out. Great tool to free up a lot of extra computer speed by minimizing the unnecessary programs running in the background taking up all of your RAM. If you create a system restore point before changing anything, you don't have to worry about messing anything up.

The other option is to get AVAST and Malware Bytes and try doing some scans with these first. If you have already begun the re-install I recomend getting these anyway.

AVAST is a great free virus scanner. Has kept me spotless and prevented downloads that were infected. Malware bytes is teh same as a virus scanner excpet checks for and removes Malware / Spyware programs.

Once you get the system wiped clean and have Microsoft Security Essentials (or AVG, Avast, etc) installed and feel a little tech savvy, check Black Viper out. Great tool to free up a lot of extra computer speed by minimizing the unnecessary programs running in the background taking up all of your RAM. If you create a system restore point before changing anything, you don't have to worry about messing anything up.

my biggest issue is I'm not the sharpest tak when it comes to technical stuff. I hope to get this mess resolved tonight - I have 3 projects I'm already behind on! And thanks, I'll check this out.

The best way to keep your computer running smoothly is to give the kids their own, and keep them off yours via pass-wording. Have a mirror of theirs handy and when it gets screwy, just load the mirrored image back onto it.

The best way to keep your computer running smoothly is to give the kids their own, and keep them off yours via pass-wording. Have a mirror of theirs handy and when it gets screwy, just load the mirrored image back onto it.

well IT WAS until Mariam and I went on our Mother/Daughter retreat back in June - that's how long this mess has been going and now has gotten worse. The kids actually have a new refurb but nothing has been done to get it online yet.

Exactly... start all over... by buying a reburbed iMac for hundreds of $$$ off! :biggrin: I still love my 3 year old iMac... however, you might have to buy some software new for the different platform...

Latest threads

Top Bottom