Parenting Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbenic, Nov 26, 2005.

1. I am wondering what you guys did (or recommend) when talking to your kids about Santa. What age do they find out? Do you explain first, or wait and answer their questions? I would like my daughter's "innocence" preserved but I don't want other kids making fun of her. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Wow Greg, you are asking one of the toughest parenting questions out there. How old is your daughter? My kids both kind of figured out themselves. My brothers two young girls still have not figured it out yet so in our family Santa is still alive and well. It will be a sad day when they too stop believing. His girls are 8 and 10. I don't know if this helps at all, but my advice is to let her find out on her own and enjoy her innocence while you can. Now, if she is 16 you may want to spill the beans.

3. My four year old already seems to be working it out, but I think he is still going to "suspend disbelief" this year. We are careful about hiding gifts, etc., but we don't exactly push the concept very hard.

But still, I will never forget last year. When he opened his main gift, he was very happy about it and ran over to the fireplace where he shouted "thank you Santa!"

4. By third grade, everyone knows. If she's younger than that enjoy this special time because we all wanted Santa to be real, I still do.

Are you listening Santa? D200!
    I've been extra good,
    Greg

5. There IS a Santa Claus, that's a fact.... plain and simple. He's bringing me a 12-24 and I'm leaving cookies and a scotch. Don't let anyone ever convince you he doesn't exist - they're just trying to rain on your parade!
    Seriously.. just let it all play out on its own. She'll hear stuff from other kids, she won't believe them at first... eventually it'll sink in. Then, when she asks, you can tell her about the "spirit of Santa Claus, the spirit of giving to others to celebrate the season" etc etc.

6. I absolutely concur with Sandi on this one, even though mine is a D200, not the 12-24 :wink:

I think the most important part of what Sandi says is that very last sentence.

Really well-said, Sandi, and a great bit of advice, I think.

(Now C'mon Glazer's Camers, err I mean Santa, and get that shipment on time!)

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. My mother-in-law (who still believes in preparing very early for Christmas) still tells the story of having to pull my wife (aged 6) by her legs out from under the bed in the spare room in October. She was shouting "he's been, he's been".

And there have been some times in the course of our marriage when I have more or less had to do the same myself. If a belief is instilled firmly enough it never quite goes...

9. Don't kid yourself. She already knows. She's just not ready for you to know that she knows :wink: .

My daughter asked the big question when she was 6 years old. The conversation went like this...

Her: Daddy, is there really a Santa Claus?

Me (sweating bullets): Ahhh, uhhh, errrr, well, maybe not in the sense of someone coming down the chimney, dear. But there's a spirit of Santa that lives in every parent that makes us try to make our children happy at Christmas time.

(Long pause while child ponders the answer)

Her: Oh, thanks for the bike last year, daddy!

(child gets up to leave)

Me: Where are you going, dear?

Her: I've got to finish my letter to Santa.

My advice is to wait until your child asks. She'll let you know when it's time for her to know :smile:.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Let Them Believe As Long As They Want.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    PRICELESS!!!

Great thought!!!

12. What do you mean Santa isn't real??? :Sad:

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That definately sums it up!!!

14. Thanks for all the advice and stories. I will just let it play out. I am sure that she has her doubts, but wants to cover her butt and go see Santa. This will probably be the last year.

15. Greg, I just want you to freeze this question, and file it away. Later, when "boys" are on the scene, and you're concerned about yr 16 year old, I want you to pull this up and have a laugh at a later date. Trust me, Santa ain't gonna be yr biggest worry!!!!

16. There is a Santa Claus.

I know because I've seen him.

Not a department store fake or someone dressed up - I'm talking about the real thing here - going about his Christmas Eve deliveries.

I was about eight or nine at the time.

You might believe that I was dreaming or imagining things. I have no control over what you believe. But I know what I saw.

17. When I was about seven, Deer tracks came all the up to our sliding glass doors on Christmas morning, I believe.