Parking Ticket

I drive onto a Bus stop area (no bus in sight) to check an address, I'm there for no more than 3 seconds and get this ticket in the mail.
What would you do?

a) - challenge it and hope the person hearing you is in a good mood
b) - ignore it, with Covid backlogs this will be tossed
c) - pay it and get on with your life
d) - buy guns and join a antigovernmental militia group

Parking ticket (2).JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
I would contest the ticket and explain the facts of the situation. You did not leave the vehicle and were only pulling out of traffic to check an address. When you realized what you pulled into was a bus zone, you left.

Good luck,

--Ken

P.S. I would not count on anything getting tossed these days. The ticket is in a database and I am sure it will continue to increase at the specified dates.

I would first read the exact law. As an example, if you never came to a full stop, you might not have violated it.

If I determined that I had violated the law, no matter how ridiculous the law might be, I would pay in time to get the discount and move on with my life. I would dispute the allegation only if I determined that I hadn't violated the law, that the cost of my car insurance would go up if I am found guilty, and that I was willing to take the time and incur the expenses required to attend the adjudication hearing.

The incentive of walking away from everything with a $120 discounted payment would be powerful for me. Compare that with losing the case and paying $225 plus other costs of attending the hearing and having given up the required time.

Real Name
Ken St John
I'd probably pay it ... but perhaps start thinking about the people that are being elected to offices that enact rules and regulations that are that stupid!!

It saddens me that we're all becoming so complacent about enforcement actions managed by a camera and a computer!!

Ken

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I was once caught by camera for allegedly failing to stop prior to making a right turn at an intersection (I did stop). Long story short, the ticket got thrown out ($100).

Your mileage may vary, but my first inclination would be to fight it. Then again, if I lost, I'd be mad as heck for having to pay $225. However you slice it, though, the law was broken, no matter the circumstance, so maybe it would be better to just pay it and keep it moving...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for chiming in everyone 👍
I believe the ticket is BS as it's intent is to stop cars from impeding the operation of a bus, since there was no bus in the vicinity, and my wheels never came to a complete stop, no infraction was made.
Years back, I would fight this, win or loose just to prove my point. But today, it's not worth the stress, so I went with c.

Several years back I was driving from Calgary to Banff and got tagged by a camera for exceeding the speed limit by 7 or 8 kph. They simply charged my rental company who added it to my bill. I had no idea where the exact location was but I knew I had exceeded the speed limit for most of that drive so . . . In my home state I regularly exceed the speed limit by 7 mph and am usually one of the slowest cars on the road.

Camera's have been ruled illegal in our state (Minnesota) for traffic enforcement. I actually wish they'd find a way to use them as scofflaws have become flagrant in the last several years.

I got a ticket a couple of years ago for not stopping for a school bus with it's stop sign out in Alabama. It had a picture of my car, showing the license plate number. Problem is, I have never been to Alabama. I was able to get that ticket dropped with a phone call. I have no idea how they got the photo of my car with my license number. I actually turned the bill in to our local police in case it was a scam hitting our area.

Mike's advice was the best by far. West lives in Canada not the US and I don't pretend to know how sympathetic their traffic courts are when you contest a ticket. I'd also probably also opt to pay the fine instead of joining a militia and buying guns as Hylander suggested (hopefully with tongue in cheek)!

Not sure how Canada does things, but in general, in the US you should (always)* take the time to plead your case.

I got a ticket years ago for failure to yield to an officer pulled over on the side of the road. The law is to pull over and give them a lane but it also states "a driver must merge a lane over or if unsafe to slow down and pass with caution". This is grey as who determines unsafe and what "slow down mean? Looking back on it, I would have fought this better than I did (supposedly it's a very common ticket that gets fought and dismissed) but just by going in there and pleading my case about how I didn't see the cop because of a truck in front of me, by the time I realized I needed to get over I couldn't find the truck that I previously saw behind me and that I did slow down and hugged the left side of my lane during passing, the judge told me this ticket almost never gets dismissed without detailed validation like a dash cam on my side but he did cut the $450 ticket down to $150 and away I went. I gave up less than an hour of my time and saved $300 AND didn't get points put on my record whereas if I would have just paid, I would have claimed I was guilty and all the repercussions that come along with that. Don't just pay the fine, except...

CAVEAT - I got a ticket last year for doing 69 in a 50 and when the officer came up to the window and saw the distress myself and my wife were in he gave us some leeway and only wrote me up for doing 55 in a 50. I was thankful and didn't contest it because 1) I knew I was speeding and I shouldn't have been despite the reasons why I felt the need to and 2) the cop did give me the leeway and was very understanding about it. I broke the law, it was very apparent and no bit of contesting it would have done me any good. Not to mention, it was 1800 miles away from home so I wasn't about to deal with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Up here "parking tickets" have no effect on your auto insurance or license renewal. If the City can't get you to pay, they forward the bill to a collection agency, they will ruin your credit rating if you ignore them for too long.

that looks like blackmail to me, maybe threats and blackmail are legal where you live but certainly not here in the UK

Parking ticket (2).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom