Part III eagles on Skagit River

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Dec 18, 2005.

1. My first trip of the year up the Skagit River was productive. I have posted some already. These show more of the eagles playing on the river bank. The day was cold but very sunny. These are cropped more than I would like. The eagles were on the other side of the river from me. All these were shot with the D2X, Sigma 500 4.5 and 1.4tc. I went back up yesterday with Bill Dewey and we were shut out. All the eagles were in hiding. I hope to get lots more opportunities in the next month or so. At least this is a start. Boy these birds are hard to keep from blowing the highlights and still have detail in the dark feathers. Any tips or suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

original.

These two were going at it fighting over the salmon. This was from the other side of the river bank so it was pretty far away. Nice to have the reach and MP to salvage the shot. Last year I could not even post these from that distance.

View attachment 21090

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21092

View attachment 21093

View attachment 21094

View attachment 21095

View attachment 21096

View attachment 21097

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You have some dynamic images in this group Jim...

Well done. What a beautiful sight. Love the mood in the first one. All of them actually :>))

Excellent action.

Wow ...ohhhh to see a sight like that.

3. Thanks Gale. It was a real sight for sure. It was so disappointing to go back two days later and see only a couple of them. I now have such high expectations I want 80 or more every time you know.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,
    I can't even find the two adults and 3 kids from last year.

Hahhahaha I would not know how to focus on 80.
    Can't even find one.

Boy what a beautiful setting that is. Real nature for sure.

I do not envy your weather though.

5. Well, I'm STILL not convinced you didn't get these pictures somewhere else :wink: :wink:

These look great, and yes, yesterday really sucked, never seen it that bad before, I really do think Bruce is a big jinx :biggrin:

These look great, I wish the weather was looking better this week I'd take a day myself and go back up.

On the other hand, Jim, see my latest thread, you should have been there this morning :smile: :biggrin:

6. You are right. When I would try and take a large group with my big lens, I could not get enough DOF for the group. I read a Mosse Peterson book and he said the hard part about shooting eagles in Homer Alaska was not finding them but finding just one to be the subject in the frame. He said, too many times he would have parts of anothers wings in his pictures. We do not have that problem here, I wish we did. I had never seen this many at one time and may never see it again.

I am sure you would not like our weather. But it does make for clear sky and makes the eagles more active.

7. Thanks Bill, you will just have to take my word for it. Now I do have the NEF file if that helps. No, I know it is still digital. Next time we will have better luck I hope. Maybe it is every alternating two days. I got it, bring that dead salmon carcus next time.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim, I am totally in awe of Moose..... I have his book as well. He used to write for www.vividlight.com online photo magazine, which unfortunately seems to have gone.. Well have to check again.
    He is quite the wildlife photog for sure.

9. I have learned a lot from reading his books and web site. I would love to have the time to do what he does. What a great life.

10. very enjoyable series James. It had to be overwhelming to see, even at a distance.
    Dave

11. Thanks Dave. Eagles are my favorite bird. They have been ever since I was a little boy (many many moons ago). I can never get enough. They are making a real come back and so it is getting easier to find them.

12. Nice shots James. Sometimes it can be difficult to get close to those suckers!

13. Boy that is sure the truth Rory. I always see people with 70-200 or 300 lenses that look like they were right next to the eagles. Sure hasn't happened to me yet. Some day I hope.

Glad to see you made it back safely. Sounds like you had a great trip also. Now your back to the cold PNW. We were in Victoria last weekend and it was cold then also. Sure a pretty place.

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

another great eagle series
    really have to get my rear up to Big Bear and see what I can do !!

15. Great series Jim. It's funny how they can disappear like that, isn't it?

16. WOw must be liek heaven to have so many eagles all around nice captures Jim I am so jealous

17. Thanks Ben. Do they have lots of them at Big Bear this time of year? They would be fun to see in the snow.

18. Well on Saturday I did not think it was funny. Don't these guys know they are supposed to come out and pose when a Nikon is in the area? Maybe instead of looking at weather reports, we should get the news to post bird reports:smile: :smile: Thanks Jim.

19. Thanks Mike. They are sure amazing to watch. I am glad they are making a come back.